NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Senior right-hander Nick Roth (Henrico, Va./Benedictine) allowed one hit over six scoreless innings with five strikeouts in his first start of the season as the fourth-ranked R-MC baseball team was nipped 4-3 at No. 7 Christopher Newport on Tuesday afternoon.
Score: #7 Christopher Newport 4, #4 Randolph-Macon 3
Location/Venue: Newport News, Va./Captains Park
Records: R-MC 0-1, CNU 6-0
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the top of the first. Junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) had a one-out single and moved to third on a base hit to right by senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch). Butler and Nickles pulled off a double-steal with two away, with Nickles touching home for the season's first run.
- Junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) had a leadoff homer in the top of the fourth as R-MC doubles its lead to 2-0.
- The Yellow Jackets had a chance to add to their lead in the top of the seventh, but left the bases loaded.
- After the Captains rallied for four in the bottom of the seventh, the Yellow Jackets fought back in the ninth. Junior first baseman Cole Grinde (Woodford, Va./Caroline) drew a leadoff walk and moved to second on a base hit by sophomore Kevin Mooney (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown). After senior Andrew Mullen (Glen Allen, Va./Douglas Freeman) pinch-ran for Mooney, sophomore catcher Jacob Selden (Lynchburg, Va./E.C. Glass) moved both runners up 90 feet with a sacrifice bunt. Junior shortstop Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca (N.J.)) delivered a sacrifice fly to make it a one-run contest at 4-3. Senior outfielder Matthew Blaise (Clifton, Va./Centreville) walked, and both runners moved into scoring position on a wild pitch. CNU was able to get a come-backer to the mound to end the threat and preserve the victory.
By The Numbers
- Shawn Nickles had two hits for the Yellow Jackets.
- Blaise reached base three times, all by walks.
- Each team was held to five hits.
- Neither team committed an error in the contest.
- R-MC moved up one spot to No. 4 in this week's D3baseball.com Top 25.
- Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) failed to reach base for the first time in the past 76 games, dating back to the 2017 season.
- Randolph-Macon is scheduled to host Messiah on Friday, March 1 at 2:30 p.m. on Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park. The Yellow Jackets will face third-ranked Rowan at home on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. and on Sunday at noon.