ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. - Junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) homered and scored twice as the fifth-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team dropped a 7-2 decision at NC Wesleyan on Tuesday afternoon.
Score: NC Wesleyan 7, #5 Randolph-Macon 2
Location/Venue: Rocky Mount, N.C./Bauer Field
Records: R-MC 3-2, NCWC 9-5
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the top of the first. Freshman outfielder Spencer Pietruszynski (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown) had a leadoff single and was replaced at first by Nickles on a fielder's choice. Senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch) was hit by a pitch, sending Nickles to second. Junior first baseman Cole Grinde (Woodford, Va./Caroline) delivered a base hit to bring in Nickles with the game's first run.
- The Battling Bishops would answer with three in the bottom of the first and one in the second before Nickles homered in the third to make it a 4-2 game.
- NCWC added single runs in the fourth, sixth and seventh to take a 7-2 advantage.
By The Numbers
- Grinde reached base three times, going 1 for 2 with a pair of walks.
- Pietruszynski went 1 for 5 in his first collegiate start and had four putouts in center field.
- Sophomore third baseman Andrew Teixeira (Virginia Beach, Va./Cox) went 1 for 4 in his first start for the Yellow Jackets. He also had one putout and three assists.
- Randolph-Macon is scheduled to host an ODAC doubleheader on Saturday, March 16 at noon against Emory & Henry on Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park.