ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore right-hander John Reynolds, Jr. (Bumpass, Va./Louisa) tossed five scoreless innings in his first collegiate start, and junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) went 3 for 3 with a grand slam and five RBI, as the fifth-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team stopped Stevens 14-1 on Monday afternoon.
Score: #5 Randolph-Macon 14, Stevens 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 6-2, Stevens 3-8
How It Happened
- Reynolds (1-0) allowed two hits, did not walk a batter, and struck out six.
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the third. Junior shortstop Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) had a leadoff double and scored on a base hit by senior Matthew Blaise (Clifton, Va./Centreville). Blaise stole second, moved to third on a fielder's choice and scored on a wild pitch to make it 2-0.
- In the fourth, R-MC added to its lead. Junior DH Reese Yeargain (Chester, Va./Benedictine) singled and scored on a wild pitch, while Nickles walked and came home on an error. Evans singled and moved to third on a double by Blaise. Both scored on an error as the lead grew to 6-0.
- Sophomore catcher Jacob Selden (Lynchburg, Va./E.C. Glass) had a two-run double to highlight a four-run fifth as the Yellow Jackets took a 10-0 lead.
- After the Ducks tallied an unearned run in the top of the sixth, Nickles crushed a grand slam to right in the bottom of the frame, his third dinger of the season, to make the final 14-0.
By The Numbers
- Senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch) reached base three times, going 2 for 3 with a walk and two runs. He also stole a pair of bases.
- Yeargain also reached three times, going 1 for 2 with two walks and three runs.
- Evans and Blaise both had two hits and two runs.
- Junior Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) returned to the lineup and went 1 for 4 with a double and two RBI.
- Three hurlers made their first appearances of the season: sophomore lefthander Zack Radcliffe (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) (1 IP, 2 H, 1 UE, 1 BB, 1 K), senior righthander Jack Maccagnan (Chesapeake, Va./Greenbriar Christian) (1 IP, 1 BB) and sophomore righty James Womack (Chesterfield, Va./Matoaca) (1 IP, 1H, 1 K). Womack made his first career appearance for the Yellow Jackets.
- Senior Daniel Lachance (Clifton, Va./Centreville) made his third appearance on the mound, pitching a perfect ninth with two strikeouts.
- Freshman catcher Grant Williams (Vienna, Va./McLean) made his debut for the Yellow Jackets, getting hit by a pitch as a pinch-hitter. He went behind the plate and had a putout and an assist in the top of the ninth.
- Randolph-Macon will return to ODAC action on Wednesday, March 20 at 3:30 p.m. with a home game against Virginia Wesleyan on Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park.