ASHLAND, Va. - Junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) homered for the second time this season, and junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) had two hits and two RBI, as the fifth-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team dropped a 6-4 ODAC decision to Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Virginia Wesleyan 6, #5 Randolph-Macon 4
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 6-3, 4-1 ODAC; VWU 8-6, 4-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- After the Marlins plated a pair in the top of the fourth without the benefit of a hit, Nickles answered by blasting a homer to right to lead off the bottom of the frame, making it a 2-1 game.
- VWU added two in the sixth before the Yellow Jackets responded in the seventh. Sophomore Kevin Mooney (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown) had a one-out single to right and moved to third on a double by junior Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) with two away. Duphorn dropped a single into right to drive in Mooney and Evans and again make it a one-run contest at 4-3.
- The Marlins added two in the top of the ninth to go up 6-3. In the bottom of the ninth, senior Matthew Blaise (Clifton, Va./Centreville) reached on an error and moved to second on a single to left by Evans. Duphorn lined a ball that looked like it was ticketed for center field, but was caught by the shortstop. Blaise got back to second base to avoid the double play. Nickles crushed a ball to right that was caught just in front of the fence for the second out. Senior Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch) reached on an error and moved to second, while Evans went to third and Blaise scored, making it 6-4. But a popout to third would end the rally and the game.
By The Numbers
- Evans went 2 for 3 with a walk and a run.
- VWU stranded 12 runners, while R-MC left nine on base.
- Four R-MC pitchers combined for 16 strikeouts. Junior Matt Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) had five in 3.2 innings, seniors Tommy Barron (Chester, Va./Thomas Dale) and Patrick Solomita (Chesterfield, Va./Matoaca) both had five in 2.1 innings, and junior Tyler Dunn (Salisbury, Md./James M. Bennett) had one in 0.2 innings.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Bridgewater on Saturday, March 23 for a noon ODAC doubleheader.