ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore catcher Jacob Selden (Lynchburg, Va./E.C. Glass) went 3 for 4 with two doubles and two RBI as the fifth-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team fell 7-4 to Tufts on Sunday afternoon.
Score: Tufts 7, #5 Randolph-Macon 3
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 8-4, TU 8-2
How It Happened
- After the Jumbos put two on the scoreboard in the top of the second, the Yellow Jackets responded in the fourth as junior DH Reece Yeargain (Chester, Va./Benedictine) launched his first home run of the season to left, making it a 2-1 contest.
- Tufts added a run in the fifth to reclaim its two-run advantage. R-MC would rally in the sixth. Yeargain was hit by a pitch with one away and moved to third on a base hit to right by junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge). Nickles went to second on a wild pitch, and both runners came home on a double to left by Selden to level the score at 3-3.
- The Jumbos answered with three in the seventh and added one in the ninth for the 7-3 final.
By The Numbers
- Selden had hits in his first three plate appearances. He doubled to left in the second, singled to left in the fourth and added a two-run double in the sixth.
- Yeargain went 1 for 3 with two runs.
- Freshman left-hander Jacob Smither (Mechanicsville, Va./Atlee) made his first appearance for the Yellow Jackets. He took the mound in the fourth and gave up a pair of hits, including a leadoff double, but did not allow a run.
- Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) had a pair of diving catches in center for the Yellow Jackets. He laid out for a ball in right center in the eighth and had a second diving catch in the ninth.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to St. Mary's (Md.) on Tuesday for a 3:30 p.m. contest.