HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. - Sophomore right-hander John Reynolds, Jr. (Bumpass, Va./Louisa) tossed six scoreless innings, while senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch) and senior outfielder Matthew Blaise (Clifton, Va./Centreville) both had three hits and two RBI, as the ninth-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team registered a 9-3 ODAC victory at Hampden-Sydney on Thursday afternoon, its first win at H-SC since 2011.
Score: #9 Randolph-Macon 9, Hampden-Sydney 3
Location/Venue: Hampden-Sydney, Va./Ty Cobb Ballpark
Records: R-MC 10-4, 7-1 ODAC; H-SC 10-9-1, 4-4 ODAC
How It Happened
- Reynolds scattered three hits and walked four while striking out six to raise his record to 2-0. He worked out of a pair of jams in the middle innings. The Tigers loaded the bases with one away in the fifth before a strikeout and a fielder's choice quelled the uprising. H-SC put two on with one away in the sixth, but Reynolds recorded a strikeout and a groundout to maintain the shutout.
- The Yellow Jackets starting the scoring in the top of the first. Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) reached on an error and moved to third on a single to center by Butler. Butler was caught in a rundown between first and second long enough for Duphorn to touch home with the first run.
- In the third, Blaise led off with a single to right, moved to second when Butler walked and advanced to third when junior DH Reece Yeargain (Chester, Va./Benedictine) drew a base on balls. Junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) was hit by a pitch to bring home Blaise to make it 2-0.
- R-MC doubled its lead in the fourth. Junior shortstop Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) had a one-out single and moved to second on an error. Blaise walked and both runners moved up on a groundout to second. A single by Butler plated both Evans and Blaise, giving the Yellow Jackets a 4-0 advantage.
- The Yellow Jackets added an insurance run in the eighth. Sophomore catcher Jacob Selden (Lynchburg, Va./E.C. Glass) reached on a one-out error, moved to second on a walk to junior first baseman Cole Grinde (Woodford, Va./Caroline) and came home on a single by Blaise to give the visitors a 5-0 lead.
- R-MC continued the scoring in the ninth. Butler had a leadoff double and junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) drew a walk. Yeargain dumped a single into left center to bring home Butler with the 6th run. Both runners moved up on a wild pitch and Shawn Nickles walked to load the bases. Selden walked to force in Mike Nickles, making it 7-0. A single to right by Grinde brought home Yeargain, and a sacrifice fly by Blaise plated Shawn Nickles, extending the lead to 9-0.
- The Tigers scored their three runs in the bottom of the ninth. R-MC turned a double play to end the contest.
By The Numbers
- Butler went 3 for 4 with a double, a walk, one run and two RBI. He had one stolen base, tying Rick Spiers for the program record of 50 career steals.
- Blaise went 3 for 3 with a walk, two runs and two RBI.
- R-MC won for the first time at H-SC since 2011, after the Tigers won seven straight home games against the Yellow Jackets.
- The Yellow Jackets moved back into a tie for first in the ODAC with Roanoke at 7-1.
- R-MC has outscored opponents 26-7 in the first inning this season.
- Randolph-Macon returns to Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park on Saturday, March 30 for a noon ODAC doubleheader against Shenandoah.