VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) knocked in three runs as the 15th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team dropped a 7-4 ODAC decision at Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Virginia Wesleyan 7, #15 Randolph-Macon 4
Location/Venue: Virginia Beach, Va./Perry Field
Records: R-MC 17-7-1, 12-4-1 ODAC; VWU 16-12, 11-6 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the top of the first. Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) drew a leadoff walk and moved to third on a double by senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch). With one away, junior catcher Reece Yeargain (Chester, Va./Benedictine) singled to bring home Duphorn with the game's first run. Shawn Nickles had a sacrifice fly to left to drive in Butler and give R-MC a 2-0 edge.
- After the Marlins tallied single runs in the second and third, R-MC reclaimed the lead in the fifth. With two away, junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) singled and moved to third on a base hit by Yeargain. Shawn Nickles brought home both runners with a double to give the Yellow Jackets a 4-2 advantage.
- VWU would score five unearned runs in the eighth to claim the 7-4 win.
By The Numbers
- Mike Nickles went 3 for 5 with a run. Butler, Yeargain and junior shortstop Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) all had two hits.
- Sophomore right-hander John Reynolds, Jr. (Bumpass, Va./Louisa) allowed two runs over the first six innings with six hits, one walk and two strikeouts.
- Randolph-Macon returns to Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park on Saturday for a noon ODAC doubleheader against Ferrum. It will be the annual Dugout Club Day for the Yellow Jackets.