ASHLAND, Va. - Junior first baseman Cole Grinde (Woodford, Va./Caroline) had three hits and knocked in four as the 20th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team dropped a 13-11 ODAC contest to Lynchburg on Tuesday afternoon.
Score: Lynchburg 13, #20 Randolph-Macon 11
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park
Records: R-MC 19-8-1, 14-5-1 ODAC; LYN 18-18, 11-9 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the bottom of the first. With two away, junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) and junior DH Reece Yeargain (Chester, Va./Benedictine) drew consecutive walks. Junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) had a base hit to center to drive in his brother Mike. Sophomore catcher Jacob Selden (Lynchburg, Va./E.C. Glass) also singled to had a sacrifice fly to left to drive in Butler and give R-MC a 2-0 edge.
- The Hornets put up five in the top of the second before R-MC responded in the third. Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) had a leadoff single and moved to second on a bunt single by senior second baseman Jeff Butler (Chesapeake, Va./Western Branch). Mike Nickles walked to load the bases and Yeargain was hit by a pitch to drive in Duphorn. Shawn Nickles reached on a fielder's choice, bringing home Butler. Shawn Nickles stole second and Mike Nickles stole home to tie the game at 5-5. A double by Grinde drove home Shawn Nickles to give the Yellow Jackets a 6-5 lead.
- Duphorn singled and scored on a wild pitch in the fourth, and Shawn Nickles doubles and scored on a single by Grinde as R-MC took an 8-5 lead.
- LYN scored four in the top of the sixth, with three coming in on a foul ball that the runner at third had to jump over that was called a fair ball by the home plate umpire, giving the visitors a 9-8 advantage.
- R-MC would reclaim the lead in the bottom of the sixth. Junior Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) had an RBI double and Grinde delivered a two-run triple as the Yellow Jackets went up 11-9.
- The Hornets would score four with two away in the top of the eighth to go ahead 13-11. R-MC loaded the bases in the bottom of the eighth, but could not score. After senior right-hander Jack Maccagnan (Chesapeake, Va./Greenbriar Christian) struck out the side in the top of the ninth, the Yellow Jackets were retired in order in the bottom of the frame to end the four-hour marathon.
By The Numbers
- Grinde was a home run short of the cycle.
- Shawn Nickles went 3 for 4 with three runs and two RBI.
- Duphorn finished with three hits and two runs.
- Junior Tyler Dunn (Salisbury, Md./James M. Bennett) hurled a career-high 4.0 innings out of the bullpen. He did not allow a hit, walked three and fanned two.
- Randolph-Macon travels to York (Pa.) on Thursday for a 3:30 p.m. non-conference contest.