YORK, Pa. - Junior outfielder Ryan Duphorn (Erial, N.J./Paul VI) went 4 for 5 with three runs and three RBI out of the leadoff spot as the 20th-ranked Randolph-Macon baseball team registered a 15-5 victory at York (Pa.) on Thursday afternoon.
Score: #20 Randolph-Macon 15, York (Pa.) 5
Location/Venue: York, Pa./Jaquet Field
Records: R-MC 20-8-1, York (Pa.) 24-10
How It Happened
- As they have so often this season, the Yellow Jackets started the scoring in the top of the first. Duphorn had a leadoff single and moved to second when freshman outfielder Spencer Pietruszynski (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown) reached on an error. Both runners moved up a base on a wild pitch. A groundout by junior third baseman Mike Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) brought home Duphorn and a double by junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) plated Pietruszynski to give R-MC a 2-0 lead. The Yellow Jackets have outscored their opponents 49-15 in the first inning this season.
- R-MC added to its lead in the second. Junior Zach Evans (Fort Mill, S.C./Seneca) drew a leadoff walk, went to second on a passed ball and scored when senior second baseman Jarrett Mustain (Chesapeake, Va./Hickory) doubled off the top of the fence in right. Duphorn had a bunt single to third, moving Mustain to third. Pietruszynski belted a three-run homer to left, his second long ball of the season, to give the visitors a 6-0 lead. Mike Nickles followed with a double and scored on a two-bagger by junior catcher Reece Yeargain (Chester, Va./Benedictine) as the advantage grew to 7-0. Sophomore DH Kevin Mooney (Williamsburg, Va./Jamestown) and junior first baseman Cole Grinde (Woodford, Va./Caroline) drew walks before Evans delivered a two-run single to make it 9-0. A walk to Mustain reloaded the bases before a double by Duphorn brought in two more to make it 11-0.
- After the Spartans scored one in the bottom of the third, the Yellow Jackets added to their lead in the fourth. Mustain had a leadoff walk, stole second and scored on Duphorn's fourth hit of the game. Duphorn stole second and third before coming home on a single by junior outfielder Shawn Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) to give R-MC a 13-1 advantage. Mooney and Grinde added RBI singles as the Yellow Jackets went up 15-1. The Spartans scored one in the fifth and three in the seventh to make the final 15-5.
By The Numbers
- In his first collegiate start, Mustain went 1 for 3 with a double, two walks, two runs and one RBI.
- Shawn Nickles finished with three hits, two RBI and a run.
- Mooney reached four times, going 2 for 3 with two walks, one run and one RBI.
- Evans had two hits and two RBI.
- Junior right-hander Matt Nickles (Stafford, Va./Colonial Forge) earned the win, going 5.0 innings with six hits, two runs, two walks and four strikeouts to raise his record to 2-3.
- Freshman lefty Jacob Smither (Mechanicsville, Va./Atlee) tossed a scoreless sixth with no hits, one walk and one strikeout.
- Sophomore righty James Womack (Chesterfield, Va./Matoaca) hurled two scoreless innings over the final two frames with no hits, two walks and three punchouts.
- Randolph-Macon will host Washington and Lee on Saturday for a noon ODAC doubleheader on Hugh Stephens Field at Estes Park. It will be Senior Day as well as Dugout Club Day.