ASHLAND, Va. - The Randolph-Macon football team registered 563 yards of total offense, including 294 yards on the ground, in a 63-34 ODAC victory over Guilford on Saturday afternoon on Day Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 63, Guilford 34
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 4-1, 2-0 ODAC; GC 1-3, 0-2 ODAC
How It Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets scored touchdowns on six of their first seven possessions in the first half in building a 42-0 advantage at intermission.
- R-MC started its first drive on its own 9-yard line, but only needed four plays to reach the end zone. Senior Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) sprinted 71 yards for the game's first TD as the Yellow Jackets led 7-0 just two minutes into the contest.
- After junior Bryan Sullivan (Boynton Beach, Fla./West Boca Raton) recovered a fumble on the GC 37, junior Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) hit junior Sam Tanner (Mechanicsville, Va./Lee-Davis) with a 27-yard scoring strike to extend the lead to 14-0 with 9:35 left in the opening period.
- Following an interception by sophomore Tyler DeBerry (Greensboro, N.C./Page), senior Eric Hoy (Clayton, N.C./Clayton) scored from 11 yards out as the advantage grew to 21-0 with 5:43 left in the first quarter.
- Estes connected with senior Christian Redman (North Chesterfield, Va./James River) on a 9-yard TD pass on the first play of the second quarter to give the home team a 28-0 lead.
- Estes hit Tanner with a 3-yard scoring toss and junior Jordan Foster (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) with a 7-yard TD pass as R-MC led 42-0 at intermission. Estes went 12 for 14 in the first half for 166 yards and four touchdowns.
- Sophomore Jordan Hall (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) reached the end zone from four yards out on R-MC's first drive of the second half as the Yellow Jackets extended their lead to 49-0.
- After the Quakers found the end zone twice, Hall raced 61 yards for a TD to make it 56-12 with 4:28 left in the third quarter.
- Junior Marcus Bazala (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) had R-MC's final touchdown, a 2-yard run in the fourth to make the final 63-34.
Inside the Numbers:
- R-MC held the ball for nearly 39 minutes, compared to 21 for GC. In the first quarter, the Yellow Jackets had the ball for 11:17, while the Quakers had it for 3:43.
- The Yellow Jackets rushed 51 times for 294 yards and five TDs. Hall finished with 13 carries for 110 yards and two scores.
- R-MC finished with 269 yards through the air. Foster topped the receiving corps with seven catches for 96 yards and one touchdown.
- Freshman Erik Harris (Carrollton, Va./Smithfield) paced the R-MC defense with six tackles. Sullivan had three tackles, one tackle for loss, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. Freshman Stephen Richardson (Richmond, Va./Varina) had three pass breakups for the Yellow Jackets.
Randolph-Macon will travel to Shenandoah on Saturday, Oct. 6 for a 1 p.m. ODAC contest.