WINCHESTER, Va. - Against a team averaging 47 points per game, the Randolph-Macon football team held Shenandoah scoreless for three quarters in posting a 45-14 ODAC victory Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 45, Shenandoah 14
Location/Venue: Winchester, Va./Sprint Field at Shentel Stadium
Records: R-MC 5-1, 3-0 ODAC; SU 3-3, 1-2 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Hornets won the toss and elected to receive. SU faced 4th-and-7 from its own 33. The Hornets faked the punt and looked to pass for the first down. Senior Owen Ritter (York, Pa./Dallastown) broke up the pass and the Yellow Jackets took over. R-MC used five plays to reach the end zone, with senior Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) scoring from three-yards out, as the Yellow Jackets took a 7-0 lead less than four minutes into the contest.
- The Hornets moved into R-MC territory on their second possession, but junior Anthony Williams (Ashburn, Va./Woodgrove) intercepted an SU pass, as the Yellow Jackets took over on their own 13. R-MC drove 87 yards in 11 plays in 6:10, as senior Eric Hoy (Clayton, N.C./Clayton) ran it in from seven yards out as the Yellow Jackets took a 14-0 lead with 53 seconds left in the first quarter.
- Senior Yonis Blanco (Silver Spring, Md./Montgomery Blair) had an interception to halt the next SU drive, giving R-MC the ball at midfield. Junior Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) scored from 10 yards out as the Yellow Jackets took a 21-0 advantage with nine minutes left in the second period.
- Sophomore Aaron Cox (Grifton, N.C./Ayden-Grifton) blocked a punt and Joel Calkins (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) recovered on the SU 8. Junior Jordan Foster (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) reached the end zone from eight yards out to give the visitors a 28-0 lead with four minutes left in the second quarter.
- Sophomore Chris Vidal (Wake, N.C./Wake Forest) matched his career high with a 43-yard field goal with 36 seconds left in the first half as R-MC took a 31-0 advantage at intermission.
- The Yellow Jackets took the second-half kickoff and added to their point total. R-MC faced 4th-and-3 on the SU 31. Estes ran 31 yards to the end zone, making it 38-0 with 11:21 left in the third quarter.
- Foster scored from three yards out late in the third period as the Yellow Jackets built a 45-0 with one minute remaining in the third quarter.
- SU added two scores in the fourth quarter to make the final 45-14.
By The Numbers
R-MC amassed 486 yards of total offense, with 298 on the ground and 188 through the air.
Estes rushed six times for 84 yards and two TDs. He completed 11 of 18 passes for 164 yards.
Hall had 15 carries for 87 yards, while Frederick ran 17 times for 66 yards and one score.
The Yellow Jackets had nine different receivers catch passes, led by senior Christian Redman (North Chesterfield, Va./James River) with three for 21 yards.
The Yellow Jacket defense recorded 10 pass breakups. Junior Keshaun Butler (North Chesterfield, Va./James River) had three, while Ritter, senior Ryan Burns (Fredericksburg, Va./Colonial Forge) and junior Bryan Sullivan (Boynton Beach, Fla./West Boca Raton) each had two.
Blanco and Burns led the team with seven tackles each.
Randolph-Macon will host Bridgewater on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 1 p.m. for an ODAC Homecoming contest at Day Field.