ASHLAND, Va. - Senior Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) rushed for 124 yards and became the first Yellow Jacket to record three 1,000-yard rushing seasons, as the Randolph-Macon football team dropped a 28-23 ODAC decision to Ferrum on Saturday afternoon at Day Field.
Score: Ferrum 28, Randolph-Macon 23
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 7-2, 5-1 ODAC; FC 5-3, 3-3 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Panthers won the opening toss and deferred to the second half. The Yellow Jackets drove to FC 10, but the drive stalled and sophomore Chris Vidal (Wake, N.C./Wake Forest) hit a 28-yard field goal to give R-MC a 3-0 edge. The Yellow Jackets used 12 plays and 6:27 off the clock.
- FC answered with a touchdown, going 75 yards in 13 plays in 5:05 to take a 7-3 advantage. with 3:28 left in the first period.
- R-MC put together another 10-play drive of 72 yards in 5:13, as senior Eric Hoy (Clayton, N.C./Clayton) took it into the end zone from 11 yards out to put the Yellow Jackets on top 10-7 with 13:10 left in the second quarter.
- Brian Mann had a 75-yard TD run on FC's next possession as the Panthers reclaimed the lead at 14-10 with 11:42 remaining until halftime.
- FC added another touchdown to take a 21-10 lead with 4:29 left in the second period.
- Junior Burke Estes (Wilmington, N.C./New Hanover) hit senior Owen Ritter (York, Pa./Dallastown) with a 39-yard TD pass as R-MC pulled within four at 21-17 with 1:25 left in the first half. The Panthers ran out the clock, holding a 21-17 advantage at the break.
- The Panthers took the second half kickoff and added to their lead. FC converted a 3rd-and-18 from its 17 and later faced 4th-and-goal from the RMC 3. The Panthers lined up for a 20-yard field goal, but called timeout and elected to go for it. A successful 3-yard run pushed the visitors' lead to 28-17 with 9:46 left in the third period.
- Frederick scored on a five-yard run, but the PAT run was unsuccessful, as R-MC trailed 28-23 with 2:49 remaining in regulation.
- FC picked up a first down and was able to run out the clock, registering a 28-23 victory.
By The Numbers
- Frederick rushed 31 times for 124 yards and one score. He has 1,114 yards on the ground this season to go with 1,387 in 2016 and 1,308 in 2017. Frederick is the first R-MC player to record three 1,000-yard seasons.
- Frederick now has 3,886 career rushing yards, the second-highest total in program history and the fourth-highest total in ODAC history.
- Estes completed 18 of 27 passes for 215 yards and one score. Ritter (5-80) and How (5-48) were his favorite targets.
- Junior Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) paced the R-MC defense with nine tackles, including one for loss. Senior Yonis Blanco (Silver Spring, Md./Montgomery Blair) had eight stops for the Yellow Jackets.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Hampden-Sydney on Saturday, Nov. 10 for the 123rd edition of The Game. The winner will claim the 2018 ODAC Title.