FERRUM, Va. – The Yellow Jackets picked up 184 yards on the ground and 182 yards through the air, and the R-MC defense held the Panthers to nine first downs and 10 points, as the Randolph-Macon football team posted a 31-10 ODAC victory at Ferrum on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 31, Ferrum 10
Location/Venue: Ferrum, Va./W.B. Adams Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon 3-1, 2-0; Ferrum 1-2, 0-1
How it Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets took the opening kickoff and put together a 13-play drive, going 67 yards in 7:06. R-MC moved to the FC 7, where sophomore Colin Brooker (Lynchburg, Va./Heritage) hit a 24-yard field goal to give the visitors an early 3-0 lead. Freshman quarterback Presley Egbers (Clifton, Va./Centreville), making his first start, went 3 for 3 in the drive for 41 yards. Senior Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) carried six times for 23 yards.
- On the first drive for the Panthers, senior linebacker Alex Robinson (Chesterfield, Va./Manchester) forced a fumble and it was recovered by the Yellow Jackets at the FC 16. Egbers hit senior tight end Sam Tanner (Mechanicsville, Va./Lee-Davis) with a 16-yard scoring strike as R-MC took a 10-0 lead with 6:30 remaining in the first period.
- The Yellow Jacket defense forced a pair of punts. R-MC faced 3rd-and-1 on the FC 45 when senior Jordan Foster (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) ran the distance for a touchdown, giving the Yellow Jackets a 17-0 advantage less than a minute into the second quarter.
- FC put together a scoring drive, getting a touchdown with 8:41 left in the half to make it 17-7. That would be the score at intermission.
- R-MC had 228 total yards in the first 30 minutes, compared to 116 for FC. Egbers went 9 for 12 for 130 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Junior tight end Tim Hanratty (Severna Park, Md./Severna Park) had a pair of catches for 56 yards. Foster ran twice for 49 yards, while Frederick had 15 carries for 32 yards.
- With 9:35 left in the third quarter, the game was delayed 2:30 by lightning. The teams traded punts before the Yellow Jackets took over on their own 33. R-MC would use 11 plays to go 67 yards in 6:24, as Foster scored from two yards out to give the Yellow Jackets a 23-7 advantage with 55 seconds left in the third period.
- Ferrum would take the ensuing kickoff and move to the RMC 11. On 3rd-and-10, sophomore linebacker Erik Harris (Carrollton, Va./Smithfield) had a sack for a loss of six yards. The Panthers settled for a field goal, making it 23-10 with 12:27 left in the fourth quarter.
- After R-MC was forced to punt, the Yellow Jacket defense held FC to 3-and-out. Foster fielded the punt on his own 13 and returned it 60 yards to the FC 27. R-MC needed four plays to reach the end zone, as Egbers hit senior wide receiver Trey Owens (Havelock, N.C./Havelock) with a five-yard scoring strike with 7:09 remaining. Tanner caught a pass from sophomore quarterback Andrew Ihle (Apex, N.C./Middle Creek) on the extra-point attempt to make the final 31-10.
By The Numbers:
- Egbers hit 15 of 22 passes for 175 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Foster had five catches for 41 yards, while Owens added four receptions for 27 yards and a score.
- Frederick finished with 26 carries for 77 yards.
- Senior linebacker Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) topped the Yellow Jackets with 11 tackles.
For The Record:
- Tre Frederick and Brian Mann entered the game with a combined total of more than 9,200 career rushing yards. It marked the first time in the history of college football in the state of Virginia that two runners combined for more than 9,000 career rushing yards entering a contest.
- Randolph-Macon will travel to Guilford on Saturday, Oct. 5 for a 1 p.m. ODAC contest.