BUENA VISTA, Va. – The Randolph-Macon football team amassed nearly 400 yards of offense and the Yellow Jacket defense returned a pair of interceptions for touchdowns in a 47-27 ODAC victory at Southern Virginia on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 47, Southern Virginia 27
Location/Venue: Buena Vista, Va./Knight Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon 6-1, 5-0 ODAC; Southern Virginia 2-4, 1-4 ODAC
How it Happened:
- The Knights took the opening kickoff out to the SVU 45, but three incomplete passes forced a punt that was downed at the R-MC 2. The Yellow Jackets drove 98 yards in 13 plays, with senior wide receiver Jordan Foster (Lynchburg, Va./Liberty Christian) scoring on a five-yard pass from freshman quarterback Presley Egbers (Clifton, Va./Centreville) to give R-MC a 6-0 lead midway through the first period.
- On its next possession, SVU moved to midfield. Senior safety Calvin Whitehead (Richmond, Va./Hermitage) intercepted a pass and returned it 53 yards for a touchdown as the Yellow Jackets led 12-0 with 5:50 remaining in the first quarter.
- The Knights put together a scoring drive early in the second period, making it 12-7 with 11:07 left until halftime.
- The Yellow Jackets would answer quickly. A 57-yard kickoff return by Foster gave R-MC the ball on the SVU 33. Senior running back Tre Frederick (Angier, N.C./West Johnston) carried twice, once for six yards and the second for 27 yards for a score. Egbers ran it in on the 2-point conversion and the visitors took a 20-7 lead with 10 minutes remaining in the second quarter.
- Senior linebacker Bryan Sullivan (Boca Raton, Fla./West Boca Raton) would snag an interception and return it 27 yards for a score to give R-MC a 27-7 advantage midway through the second period.
- Sophomore cornerback Stephen Richardson (Richmond, Va./Varina) picked off another SVU pass and junior running back Shaheed Adeyola (Richmond, Va./Henrico) would take it in from five yards out to make it 34-7 with 5:19 remaining. That would be the halftime lead for the Yellow Jackets. Frederick had nine carries for 88 yards and one touchdown.
- On the first play from scrimmage in the third quarter, Egbers hit freshman wide receiver David Wallis on a 72-yard pass to put the ball on the SVU 13. Wallis would pull in an eight-yard TD pass as R-MC took a 41-7 lead.
- The Knights scored a TD in the third period and another on the first play of the fourth quarter to pull with 20 at 41-21. Sophomore quarterback Andrew Ihle (Apex, N.C./Middle Creek) ran the ball in from five yards out as the lead grew to 47-21 midway through the final period. SVU added a late TD to make the final 47-27.
By The Numbers:
- R-MC had 265 rushing yards and 129 yards through the air for 394 yards of total offense.
- Foster had 118 all-purpose yards, with 91 return yards, 19 rushing yards and eight receiving yards.
- Adeyola ran 16 times for 91 yards and one TD, while Frederick finished with 88 rushing yards and one score.
- Egbers went 11 for 22 for 116 yards and two touchdowns.
- Wallis had five catches for 92 yards and one score.
- Whitehead and senior safety Zach Salvato (Springfield, Va./West Springfield) tied for team lead with seven tackles. Sophomore defensive end Jacob Hutchinson (Glen Allen, Va./Deep Run) had four tackles, including two tackles for loss.
For The Record:
- R-MC has won six straight games.
- Randolph-Macon will have its bye week next Saturday before returning to Day Field on Saturday, November 2 for a 1 p.m. ODAC contest against Washington and Lee.