SALEM, Va. – With a pair of goals in the middle of the first half, Randolph-Macon field hockey battled Roanoke Saturday afternoon in a defensive showing that was only ended by a double-overtime goal.
Score: Roanoke 2, Randolph-Macon 1 (2 OT)
Location/Venue: Salem, Va./Kerr Stadium
Records: Roanoke (4-1, 1-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (3-3, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Roanoke had most of the control through the first half, limiting both penalty corner situations and shots during the period.
- Early in the second half, a penalty corner resulted in Roanoke's Megan Diehl scoring on a rebounded shot just a minute and a half into the second frame.
- R-MC earned a penalty corner just after the goal, which resulted in a shot by freshman Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) that was saved by RC.
- Another corner opportunity in the 47th minute yielded a goal for R-MC. Sophomore Kathleen Tanner (Spotsylvania, Va. / Riverbend) inserted the ball and sophomore Madison McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va. / Stafford) rebounded her own shot to put it into the cage to tie the game at one.
- R-MC got one last penalty corner opportunity with about five minutes left, but was not able to convert it forcing overtime.
- Both teams had offensive opportunities in the first extra frame, but neither could convert it into the golden goal.
- In the second overtime period, Roanoke's Emilee Wooten scored just around a minute and a half into the frame, giving Roanoke the 2-1 victory.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC made 12 saves, with freshman Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) getting credit for all of them in her 81 minutes of work.
- R-MC had five total penalty corner opportunities, with one coming in the first half, three in the second half and one in the first overtime period.
Randolph-Macon will face Concordia-Wisconsin tomorrow (Sunday, September 30) at 11:30 AM at the Captains Turf Field in Newport News.