NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – Randolph-Macon field hockey suffered a 2-1 setback as Concordia Wisconsin scored two second half goals to win the game.
Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Randolph-Macon 1
Location/Venue: Newport News, Va./Captains Turf Field
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-3, Randolph-Macon 3-4
How It Happened
- R-MC started quickly. A minute into the match, freshman Catie Burnette (Williamsburg, Va. / Woodside) took a fast break along the right side of the goal and crossed a shot to the opposite site of the cage, netting her first goal of the season.
- The Yellow Jackets held control over much of the pace of play in the first half, taking 13 additional shots through the rest of the period.
- Concordia Wisconsin got a goal in the 54th minute as Megan McPike tipped the ball into the cage following a penalty corner after receiving the pass from Brianna Buehler.
- CUW scored the game winner in the 54th minute as McPike took the ball through the middle of the circle and shot back to the opposite side where the ball found the cage.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon held the advantage in shots 30-9, with 17 landing on goal.
- R-MC was led offensively by sophomores Madison McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va. / Stafford) and Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan). Each took five shots, with McCoy landing all five on goal and Faries landing one on goal. Freshman Abby Sloan (Chester, Va. / Thomas Dale) was close behind with four shots, all on goal as well as Burnette, who took a total of three.
- Freshman Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) made a save in the match. Sophomore Megan May (Hayes, Va. / Gloucester) was credited with a defensive save as well, sending the ball away after it got behind Snyder.
- R-MC was able to draw 14 penalty corners, seven in each half compared to just three for CUW.
R-MC will face Mary Washington on Wednesday at 7:30 PM at home.