ASHLAND, Va. - Freshman Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) registered 10 saves, including nine in the second half, as the Randolph-Macon field hockey team was edged by Mary Washington 2-1 on Wednesday evening at Day Field.
Score: Mary Washington 2, Randolph-Macon 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 3-5, UMW 7-3
How It Happened:
- Freshman Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va./Eastern View) had three shots in the third minute for the Yellow Jackets, but none produced a goal.
- R-MC was awarded a penalty stroke in the 27th minute. Brookman converted for her first goal of the season, giving the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 edge.
- The Eagles scored on a penalty corner on the final play of the first half, knotting the game at intermission.
- UMW tallied the lone goal of the second half with 23 minutes left as the visitors posted a 2-1 victory.
Inside The Numbers:
- R-MC held a 17-13 advantage in shots, including 11-3 in the first half. Brookman paced the Yellow Jackets with 10 shots, including four shots on goal. Sophomore Teresita Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va./Trinity) had two shots, of which one was on goal, for R-MC.
- UMW had 13 penalty corners, compared to eight for R-MC.
Randolph-Macon will return to conference action on Saturday, Oct. 6, hosting Lynchburg at 6 p.m. on Day Field as part of Family Weekend.