ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon field hockey was edged out with a golden goal in the first overtime period against the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins Wednesday evening. Randolph-Macon outshot the Marlins in the victory, especially in an offensively aggressive second half.
Score: Virginia Wesleyan 2, Randolph-Macon 1 (OT)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Va. Wesleyan (5-4, 2-3 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (3-7, 0-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Virginia Wesleyan scored first, early in the first half as Julie Fassl hit a shot from a few yards out and slipped it into the cage.
- R-MC had a penalty stroke chance just a few minutes later, but it was saved by the VWU keeper.
- Randolph-Macon took control in the second half. In the 46th minute, R-MC got a penalty corner opportunity, which sophomore Maddie McCoy (Fredericksburg, Va. / Stafford) took and sent to fellow sophomore Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School). Magill launched the ball over the defense and the VWU keeper, where it went into the netting around the cage.
- R-MC kept the offensive attack up in the second half. R-MC outshot VWU 15-5 in the second frame. R-MC got some especially dangerous opportunities for about a ten minute period from the 50th minute on. At that time, R-MC got close shots from sophomores Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) and Mary Dodd (Alexandria, Va. / W.T. Woodson). Sophomore Elizabeth Jacobs (Laurel, Md. / Atholton) also had a strong shot on goal at minute 58.
- With no decision in regulation, the two teams battled in overtime where the Marlins got the golden goal in the 73rd minute with a pair of shots. The first was saved defensively by sophomore Megan May (Hayes, Va. / Gloucester), but the second slipped into the back of the cage on the rebounded shot by Emily Price.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC didn't just outshoot VWU for the second frame – but also for the game, holding the 23-20 edge in shots.
- Freshman Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan) made seven saves on the game, while May had another defensive save, in addition to her one in the waning moments of the game.
- Magill and Ambrogi-Torres led the Yellow Jackets with four shots each. Three of May's shots landed on goal while two of Ambrogi-Torres were fired at the cage. Jacobs and sophomore Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan) each had a pair of shots go on goal, with Faries firing off three shots for the game.
- R-MC had nine penalty corners in the match, including six in the offensively-heavy second half. McCoy and freshman Lindsay Moore (Ashland, Va. / Hanover) split most of the inserting duties, while sophomore Kathleen Tanner (Spotsylvania, Va. / Riverbend) also inserted once.
- Sophomores Georgia Drescher (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) and Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) had a strong game working through the midfield, taking opportunities away from the Marlin offense where they could find them.
Randolph-Macon will face Bridgewater on the Eagles' turf in the Shenandoah Valley on Friday at 6:00 PM.