FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Sophomore Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) hit the game's lone goal in the 48th minute, sending Randolph-Macon field hockey to a 1-0 victory on Sunday afternoon in a neutral site contest.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Rhodes 0
Location/Venue: Fredericksburg, Va./Battleground Athletic Complex (Mary Washington)
Records: Randolph-Macon (5-7, 1-3 ODAC), Rhodes (8-2, 2-1 SAA)
How It Happened
- The defense and midfield really took command of the game. Against an offensive-minded Lynx team, which shoots nearly 25 times a match, R-MC allowed just six Rhodes shots in the first half. Only one came on goal and was handled easily by freshman goalkeeper Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan).
- The second half shaped up similarly as the first until Healy broke the scoreless game with a goal she slipped behind the strong defense to score the first points of the game. Healy got the tip from freshman Catie Burnette (Williamsburg, Va. / Woodside), whose shot just moments before was saved by the Rhodes goalie Nina Migneco.
- R-MC's defense went into overdrive for the remainder of the game, preventing any of Rhodes' shots from getting in. Snyder made five saves after R-MC's goal to protect the clean sheet.
Inside The Numbers
- Sophomore Georgia Drescher (Virginia Beach, Va. / Frank W. Cox) led the midfield, getting possession back for R-MC in many one-on-one scenarios with Lynx players. Freshman Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) played a huge role in the defensive third, challenging much of the Rhodes team outside of the circle, preventing a lot of dangerous offensive attacks.
- Healy led the Yellow Jackets with five shots on the day. Sophomore Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) and freshman Abby Sloan (Chester, Va. / Thomas Dale) each made a pair of shots as well.
- Snyder finished the day with eight saves and earned her second win of the season.
- Penalty corners were even for both teams with three each – R-MC earning two of three in the first half, with the same being true of Rhodes in the second half.
Randolph-Macon will face Washington and Lee at Day Field on Wednesday at 7:30 PM.