ASHLAND, Va. - Freshman Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va./Eastern View) recorded a goal and two assists, and freshman Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va./Powhatan) amassed 19 saves, as the Randolph-Macon field hockey team posted a 4-1 ODAC victory over Washington and Lee on Wednesday evening at Day Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 4, Washington and Lee 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 6-7, 2-3 ODAC; W&L 5-8. 3-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Both teams had scoring chances early, but neither team was able to score. The Yellow Jackets had a penalty corner and Brookman nailed a shot inside the far post to give the home team a 1-0 advantage 20 minutes into the contest. Sophomore Claire Magill (Moseley, Va./Trinity Episcopal) tallied the assist for R-MC.
- On another penalty corner, Brookman assisted on a goal by freshman Abby Sloan (Chester, Va./Thomas Dale) as the R-MC advantage grew to 2-0 with 6:31 left in the period.
- The Yellow Jackets had an 8-7 lead on shots in the first half, as well as a 5-2 edge in penalty corners. Snyder had six saves in the first period.
- On its second penalty corner of the second half, R-MC had Magill score on the assist from freshman Lindsay Moore (Ashland, Va./Hanover) to give the Yellow Jackets a 3-0 lead 1:33 into the second period.
- R-MC scored again off a penalty corner with 25:08 left as sophomore Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va./Trinity) finished on an assist by Brookman to give the home team a 4-0 lead.
- The Generals kept the pressure on, avoiding the shutout with a goal in the 64th minute to make it 4-1.
- W&L had a 24-10 advantage in shots in the second half. Snyder had 13 second-half saves. Magill had a pair of defensive saves in the second period as well.
Inside the Numbers
- W&L had a 31-18 edge in shots in the game. Magill led R-MC with four shots, of which three were on goal. Sophomore Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va./Monacan) had three shots, all on goal, for the Yellow Jackets.
Randolph-Macon will host Shenandoah on Friday, Oct. 19 at 6 p.m. on Day Field in an ODAC contest to kick off Homecoming Weekend.