HARRISONBURG, Va. – An offensive bonanza in Harrisonburg resulted in the Field Hockey Yellow Jackets securing an important Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory over Eastern Mennonite Wednesday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 6, Eastern Mennonite 4
Location/Venue: Harrisonburg, Va./Turf Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (7-8, 3-4 ODAC), Eastern Mennonite (8-10, 1-6)
How It Happened
- The opening goals came early for both teams. In the fifth minute, Freshman Abby Sloan (Chester, Va. / Thomas Dale) opened the scoring with a loose goal off the left side. It marked her second of the season. Moments later, EMU opened their scoring line as Skylar Hedgepeth deflected the ball in after a chain of passes.
- R-MC struck next. Freshman Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va. / Eastern View) hit the ball into the upper left corner of the cage, scoring her third goal of the season in the 20th minute.
- Just before halftime, EMU's Kayla Maret tied the match with a chip in from the left side. The teams entered the break with a 2-2 score.
- R-MC broke the tie early in the second half. In minute 48, Freshman Catie Burnette (Williamsburg, Va. / Woodside) slotted the ball by the keeper in a one-on-one situation, helping push R-MC ahead to 3-2.
- The Yellow Jacket freshmen continued their roll. Freshmen Lindsay Moore (Ashland, Va. / Hanover) took a pass from sophomore Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) and earned the goal to double up the score 4-3.
- Maret scored for EMU again in the 57th minute, which brought the score back within one.
- Sloan found the cage again as a loose ball resulted in the scoring opportunity for R-MC to head back up 5-3.
- Sloan's connection to the goal remained strong. She sent a pass over a group of defenders and to the stick of Magill, who placed it into the cage after working it through the defense.
- EMU scored one last time as time expired to settle the final score at 6-4.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC's defense was at work all game. The defensive unit allowed just seven shots all game, which, besides the four goal, only one other one fell on goal. It was saved by freshman Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan).
- R-MC made 24 shots, eight of which required Eastern Mennonite saves.
- The Yellow Jackets had the 11-6 advantage in penalty corners.
- Sophomore Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) led the Yellow Jackets with seven shots. She was followed by Brookman with three and Moore, Sloan, Magill, sophomore Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) and sophomore Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va. / Monacan). Two shots fell on goal for each Ambrogi-Torres, Sloan, Moore, Faries and Brookman.
Randolph-Macon will visit Ferrum for a 6:30 PM tilt on Friday night.