FERRUM, Va. - Sophomore midfielder Austyn Faries (Richmond, Va./Monacan) scored the game's lone goal early in the second half as the Randolph-Macon Field Hockey team shut out Ferrum 1-0 Friday evening to remain in the running for an ODAC Tournament spot.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Ferrum 0
Location/Venue: Ferrum, Virginia/Adams Stadium
Records: R-MC 8-8, 4-4 ODAC; FC 3-13, 0-8 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets held the offensive advantage in the first half, but could not snap the scoreless deadlock. R-MC held an 8-0 advantage on shots and had three shots on goal. Freshman Katie Brookman (Culpeper, Va./Eastern View) had a pair of shots, both on goal. The Yellow Jackets had six penalty corners, while the Panthers had none.
- R-MC finally got on the board in the 43rd minute on a goal by Faries to give the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 lead. It was the fifth goal of the season for Faries.
Inside The Numbers
- The R-MC defense, led by sophomores Megan Harrah (Yorktown, Va./Grafton), Megan May (Hayes, Va./Gloucester) and Claire Magill (Moseley, Va./Trinity) did not allow Ferrum to take a shot in recording the shutout.
- The Yellow Jackets had 15 shots in the game. Sophomore Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va./Woodside) paced the victors with four shots.
- R-MC had 13 penalty corners in the contest, while the Panthers had one, which came in the final minute of the game.
- The Yellow Jackets recorded their fourth shutout of the season.
- Randolph-Macon must wait for the results of Saturday's three ODAC games to see if it will earn a spot in next week's ODAC Tournament.