ASHLAND, Va. – Junior Maria Teresa Ambrogi-Torres (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) scored twice, as her goals sent R-MC ahead of the visiting Eastern Mennonite Royals and gave the Yellow Jackets their first Old Dominion Athletic Conference win of the year.
Score: Randolph-Macon 3, Eastern Mennonite 1
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (5-5, 1-1 ODAC), Eastern Mennonite (4-6, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Junior Ayanna Healy (Newport News, Va. / Woodside) scored the first goal of the game just moments into the contest. In the fourth minute, she dribbled along the left side of goal and crossed the ball back behind the defense and into the opposite corner.
- Ambrogi-Torres got the Yellow Jackets' second goal of the game in the 22nd minute. She took a rebounded shot and put it behind the defense and into the cage to give R-MC the 2-0 lead at halftime.
- R-MC's defense was stellar in the first half. Guided by sophomore goalkeeper Gatlin Snyder (Powhatan, Va. / Powhatan), the group of junior Claire Magill (Moseley, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) and sophomores Abby Sloan (Chester, Va. / Thomas Dale) and Sydney Duimstra (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) helped prevent EMU from getting much action in its attacking third. The Royals didn't get a shot off in the first half.
- In the third quarter, EMU was able to score early in the frame. In the 34th minute, Brandy Troutman crossed the face of goal and sent it into the cage to cut the Yellow Jacket lead to just one.
- But R-MC answered as Ambrogi-Torres scored her second of the day. The junior redirected the shot at the cage after senior Liz Jacobs (Montpelier, Va. / Deep Run) sent a hard pass towards the mouth of goal. The redirect worked as R-MC settled the final score at 3-1 with that shot.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC outshot EMU 34-2 in the contest. EMU got very few chances in its attacking third.
- R-MC earned 11 penalty corners to EMU's one. The Yellow Jackets scored on two of them while EMU scored on its only one.
- Ambrogi-Torres led R-MC with 13 shots, including seven on goal. Magill and Healy each checked in with four as well.
Randolph-Macon will have an important ODAC match against Roanoke on Saturday evening at Day Field. Play begins at 6:00 PM.