FREDERICK, Md. - Junior Corey Bays had career highs with seven three-pointers and 23 points as the Randolph-Macon men's basketball team topped Hood 91-61 Saturday afternoon to win the championship of the MMI Tip-Off Tournament.
Score: R-MC 91, Hood 61
Location/Venue: Frederick, Md./BB&T Arena
Records: R-MC 2-0, Hood 1-1
How It Happened
- As Game 1 started, senior Jon Nowell had the first bucket of the game for the Yellow Jackets. A three-pointer by senior Darryl Williams gave R-MC a quick 5-0 lead. A trey by freshman Ian Robertson put the visitors 21-8 lead midway through the first half. A three-pointer by Bays with four minutes remaining gave the Yellow Jackets a 20-point lead at 32-12. Sophomore Buzz Anthony hit a jumper with 47 seconds left to make it 43-21 before a pair of free throws by Hood made it 43-23 at the half..
- Another trey by Bays with 16 minutes left in the second period put R-MC up 54-29. A trey by junior Korey Turner with 4:30 remaining pushed the advantage to 89-53 before the final of 91-61.
By The Numbers
- Anthony finished with 16 points, while senior Luke Neeley hit four treys for 12 points.
- R-MC shot 50% from the floor (28-56), 46% on three-pointers (18-39) and 85% from the free throw line (17-20).
- Randolph-Macon will face Albright on Friday, Nov. 16 at 8 p.m. in the first round of the Gettysburg Tip-Off Tournament.