GETTYSBURG, Pa. - Junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) recorded his first career double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds, one of five Yellow Jackets to score in double figures, as the Randolph-Macon men's basketball team defeated Albright 82-69 Friday evening in the first round of the Gettysburg Tip-Off Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 82, Albright 69
Location/Venue: Gettysburg, Pa./Bream Gym
Records: R-MC 3-0, AC 1-2
How It Happened
- Senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) scored a layup 10 seconds into the game to give the Yellow Jackets an early lead. The Lions tallied five straight to go up by three. Albright owned a seven-point lead at 15-8 six minutes into the contest. Three-pointers by senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) bookended a 20-2 run as R-MC built a 28-17 lead with 5:30 left in the first half. Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) hit a jumper with seven seconds left as the Yellow Jackets took their largest lead at 40-27 at halftime.
- A pair of layups by Midulla to start the second half gave R-MC a 44-27 advantage. The Lions tallied 12 straight points to cut the deficit to five at 44-39 with 15 minutes remaining in the second period. A three-pointer by junior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) halted the run, but Albright cut the margin to two at 48-46 with 12:30 left. The Lions trailed 59-56 before a trey and layup by senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) extended the lead to 64-56 with 6:25 left. After an AC free throw, Turner hit a jumper to push the lead to nine at 66-57 with 5:45 remaining. The Lions scored five straight before a layup by Turner and a three-pointer by Bays gave R-MC a 71-62 edge with four minutes left. Another five points by AC again cut the deficit to four before Midulla and Williams made layups and Anthony converted a three-point play to put the Yellow Jackets on top 78-67 with 1:15 remaining. Anthony and Bays both hit a pair of free throws in final minute as R-MC posted an 82-69 victory.
By The Numbers
- Joining Bays as double-figure scorers were Anthony with 13, Williams and Midulla with 12, and Turner with 10 off the bench.
- Anthony led the Yellow Jackets with five assists.
- R-MC held a 45-30 advantage on the boards. All 11 of Bays' rebounds were on the defensive end.
- R-MC is 3-0 for the first time since starting the season 4-0 in 2010-11.
- The Yellow Jackets have scored at least 82 points in each of their first three games.
- Randolph-Macon will face host Gettysburg on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 4 p.m. in the championship game of the Gettysburg Tip-Off Tournament. The Yellow Jackets are 4-0 all-time against the Bullets.