ASHLAND, Va. - Senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) had 17 points and nine rebounds, and senior Darryl Williams scored 15, including nine in a key run early in the second half, as the Randolph-Macon men's basketball team topped Ferrum 73-54 Tuesday evening in Crenshaw Gym in the ODAC opener for both teams.
Score: Randolph-Macon 73, Ferrum 54
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 5-0, 1-0 ODAC; FC 0-5, 0-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- After the Panthers hit the first bucket of the game, Williams made a layup to spark a 9-0 run as the Yellow Jackets took a 9-2 lead with 15:30 left in the first period. R-MC was up 16-9 before an 11-1 spurt by FC gave the visitors a 20-17 edge with 7:45 remaining in the first half. Midulla had three-pointers to bookend a 12-0 run as the Yellow Jackets took a 29-20 lead with 4:45 left until halftime. The Panthers pulled with six before a layup by senior Montese Adams (Richmond, Va./Fuqua) gave the home team a 33-25 edge at the break. Midulla had nine points in the first half to pace the Yellow Jackets.
- Williams had nine points in a 16-4 run at the start of the second half as the lead ballooned to 20 at 49-29 with 15:00 left in the second period. The Panthers pulled within 14 at 56-42 before another trey by Midulla made it 59-42 with 8:50 remaining. FC fought back and cut the deficit to a dozen before consecutive treys by senior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) highlighted a 14-3 run as R-MC went up 73-50 with three minutes left. The Panthers had the final two baskets of the game to make the final 73-54.
By The Numbers
- Along with 17 points by Midulla and 15 by Williams, Anthony finished with 14 and Bays added 11.
- R-MC held a 40-25 advantage on the boards. Midulla led all players with nine, Williams pulled down eight, while Adams and Anthony both grabbed seven.
- For the fifth straight game, Anthony paced the Yellow Jackets in assists with seven.
- Midulla had four assists and topped the team with three steals.
- R-MC is 11-0 all-time against Ferrum.
- The Yellow Jackets are 5-0 for the first time since the 2009-10 season, when R-MC began 13-0.
- Randolph-Macon will head to Atlanta this weekend to participate in the Emory Thanksgiving Classic. The Yellow Jackets will face Oglethorpe on Saturday, Nov. 24 at 4 p.m., and meet No. 18 Emory on Sunday, Nov. 25 at 2 p.m.