ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) put up a career-best 26 points as the 15th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team posted a 78-64 victory over Carroll (Wis.) on Day 1 of the 2018 R-MC Coaches Tournament sponsored by Kay Jewelers on Friday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 78, Carroll 64
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 11-1, CU 4-8
How It Happened
- Seniors Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) and Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy) had inside buckets in the first minute to give the Yellow Jackets an early 4-0 lead. A pair of baskets in the paint by Anthony gave R-MC an 11-5 advantage with 15:25 left in the first period. The Pioneers hit a trey and converted a three-point play to knot the score at 11-11 with 14 minutes remaining. A three-pointer by freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) allowed the Yellow Jackets to reclaim the lead and a layup by senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) pushed the edge to five at 16-11 with 12:20 left. CU pulled within one at 19-18 before a 16-6 spurt gave the home team a 35-24 lead with 1:45 remaining. A follow by Anthony gave the Yellow Jackets a 39-28 advantage at the break. Anthony had 13 points in the first half, while Nowell added nine. Midulla paced R-MC with three assists.
- A three-pointer by Midulla capped a 13-6 run for the Yellow Jackets to start the second half as R-MC went up 52-34 with 15:50 left. A trey by senior Montese Adams (Richmond, Va./Fuqua) gave the Yellow Jackets a 20-point advantage at 59-39 with 12:25 remaining. A 17-7 spurt by the Pioneers cut the deficit in half at 66-56 with 5:30 left. Anthony scored R-MC's next six points with three free throws and a trey as the lead grew back to 14 at 72-58 with 3:30 remaining. The Yellow Jackets would hold on for a 78-64 victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had three players score in double figures. Along with Anthony's 26, Midulla had 14 and Nowell added a season-high 12 points. Anthony went 9 for 11 from the floor, 2 for 2 on three-pointers and 6 for 8 from the free throw line.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 35-30 advantage on the boards, including 16-11 in the second half. Anthony led all players with seven rebounds, including four offensive boards. Nowell and Midulla both grabbed six caroms.
- Anthony paced R-MC with six assists, while Midulla dished our four. Anthony and Midulla both had two steals.
- Drew defeated Stockton 93-60 in Friday's first game. Sky Harris and Darius Reiter both scored 18 for the Rangers. Keenan Williams, Jr. led the Ospreys with 13 points.
- Carroll will play Stockton in the consolation game on Saturday at 2 p.m. Randolph-Macon will meet Drew in the championship game on Saturday at 4 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym.