GREENSBORO, N.C. - Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) led the visitors with 16 points and freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) matched his season high with 15 points, all in the first half, as the 15th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team was edged 64-63 at Guilford in ODAC action on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Guilford 64, Randolph-Macon 63
Location/Venue: Greensboro, N.C./Ragan-Brown Field House
Records: R-MC 13-2, 5-1 ODAC; GC 10-4, 4-1 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Quakers jumped out to an 8-5 lead in the first 6:30 of the contest. Robertson had a layup and a three-pointer to give the Yellow Jackets a 10-5 lead. Another trey by Robertson capped a 22-6 run as R-MC took a 27-14 advantage with 7:15 remaining in the first half. A pair of free throws by Anthony with 1:33 left gave the visitors a 15-point lead at 39-24. GC had the final bucket of the period at the Yellow Jackets led 39-26 at the break. Robertson had 15 first-half points, going 5 for 7 from the floor and 3 for 4 behind the arc. Anthony had 12 points and three assists.
- Sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) sank two foul shots to give R-MC a 44-32 advantage three minutes into the second half. The Quakers put up the next 13 points to reclaim the lead at 45-44 with 12 minutes remaining. GC led 57-54 before senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) had five points in a 7-0 spurt, his three-pointer giving the Yellow Jackets a 61-57 edge with 3:45 left. After a trey by GC, Anthony made a layup to put R-MC ahead 63-60 with three minutes remaining. The Quakers made the next two buckets to go up 64-63 with 35 seconds left. The Yellow Jackets were unable to get off a final shot as GC pulled out the victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC hit 10 three-pointers, compared to five for GC. The Quakers were 13 of 20 from the free throw line, while the Yellow Jackets went 9 for 11.
- GC held a 34-23 advantage on the glass. Anthony led R-MC with five rebounds.
- This was the first game in which R-MC had less than three players score in double figures. The Yellow Jackets were held to their second-lowest point total of the season.
- Guilford has won seven straight games. The Quakers were held to their lowest point total of the season.
- Randolph-Macon returns to Ashland to host Shenandoah on Wednesday, January 9 at 7 p.m. in Crenshaw Gym.