ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) matched his career high with 24 points, one of six Yellow Jackets to score in double figures, and sank five of his team's 17 three-pointers, and junior Korey Turner (Midlothian, Va./Amelia Academy) recorded his first double-double with 10 points and a career-high 10 assists, as the 18th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team outscored Shenandoah 117-60 in ODAC play Wednesday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 117, Shenandoah 60
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 6-1, 14-2 ODAC; SU 4-10, 0-6 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Yellow Jackets scored the first 13 points of the contest, with senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) putting in seven. Consecutive three-pointers by senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) put R-MC on top 25-4 with 13:30 left in the first half. A trey by junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) gave the home team a 49-16 advantage with 6:40 remaining. A three-pointer by Williams with 4:35 left gave the Yellow Jackets a 55-17 lead. Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) hit a trey with 35 seconds remaining and freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) had a follow with six seconds left as R-MC took a 68-25 lead at intermission. The Yellow Jackets shot 66.7% from the floor (26-39) and 63.2% on three-pointers (12-19). Anthony had 16 points, six assists, four rebounds and four steals in the first half.
- SU scored the first 12 points of the second half to make it 68-37. Bays scored 15 of R-MC's next 19 points as the Yellow Jackets extended the lead to 87-49 with 9:45 remaining. Sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) tallied the final points for R-MC with a jumper in the final minute to give the Yellow Jackets their largest lead at 60 at 117-57 before the Hornets hit a trey with 14 seconds left to make the final 117-60.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had six score in double figures for the first time this season. Bays had 15 of 24 points in the second half. He went 9 for 11 from the floor and 5 for 7 beyond the arc. Anthony finished with 16, Neeley was one away from his season high with 15, Robertson tallied 13, Williams had 11 and matched his season best with 10 points.
- Turner had seven of his 10 assists in the second half. The Yellow Jackets had a season-high 32 assists. Anthony had seven assists and Woods dished out six.
- R-MC held a 48-30 advantage on the boards. Freshman Daquan Morris (Philadelphia, Pa/Hill School) led all players with a season-high eight rebounds, while Robertson grabbed seven. Williams and senior Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy) both had six caroms. Nowell and Robertson both had three blocks.
- R-MC had its highest point total since a 123-97 home victory over Emory & Henry on February 3, 2008. The last time the Yellow Jackets reached the century mark was on February 18, 2015, a 103-72 home win over Shenandoah.
- Freshman Daud Avazov (Stafford, Va./Pope John Paul the Great) hit a free throw to record his first collegiate point.
- SU gave up its highest point total to an opponent this season.
- The Yellow Jackets have held five opponents to 60 points or less this season. R-MC held the Hornets to 16 points below their season average. SU shot 31.7% from the floor (19-60) and 16.7% on treys (3-18).
Randolph-Macon will travel to Bridgewater for an ODAC affair on Wednesday, Jan. 16 at 7 p.m.