ASHLAND, Va. - Senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) went 7 for 8 from the floor for a season-high 16 points as the 12th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team outlasted Virginia Wesleyan 62-50 in ODAC action Wednesday evening in Crenshaw Gym.
Score: Randolph-Macon 62, Virginia Wesleyan 50
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 17-2, 9-1 ODAC; VWU 8-11, 5-4 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Marlins scored the first four points before a three-pointer by sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) and a three-point play by Williams tied the game at 6-6 with 16:35 remaining in the first period. A three-point play by senior Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy) gave the Yellow Jackets their first lead at 11-10 with 12:50 left. After a bucket by VWU, a layup by senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) capped a 7-0 run as R-MC took an 18-12 advantage with 9:35 remaining. A three-pointer by Midulla gave R-MC a nine-point lead at 33-24 with 2:45 left. A layup by Williams pushed the advantage to 10 at 35-25 with 2:05 remaining. The Marlins would net the final basket of the half and trail 35-27 at the break. Williams had 12 points in the first half for the Yellow Jackets, while Midulla added 10.
- VWU cut the deficit to five before a jumper by Nowell and a layup by WIlliams pushed the R-MC lead back to nine at 45-36 midway through the second half. The Marlins made it a six-point game before layups by junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) and Nowell made it a 10-point game at 51-41 with 6:35 remaining. After a free throw by VWU, layups by sophomore David Funderburg (Greensboro, N.C./Northwest Guilford) and Bays made it 55-42 with 4:00 left. The Marlins cut it to nine before a jumper by sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) and a trey by Anthony extended the R-MC lead to 14 at 60-46 with 1:00 remaining. After VWU scored four straight points, a dunk by Nowell ended the scoring as R MC posted the 62-50 victory.
By The Numbers
- The Yellow Jackets had three players score in double figures. Along with 16 by Williams, Midulla tallied 12 and Nowell scored 11.
- Nowell had seven rebounds and four blocks.
- Woods had four assists and Midulla dished out three.
- The R-MC defense held VWU to 32% shooting from the floor (18-56), including 23.5% in the second half (8-34).
- The Yellow Jackets outscored the Marlins 42-28 in the paint.
- R-MC has now held seven opponents to 60 points or less. Opponents are averaging 48.5 points over the past two games.
- Anthony was held to eight points, the first time this season he was held under double figures.
- Randolph-Macon hits the road to play at No. 14 Lynchburg on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 4:30 p.m. in a battle for first place in the ODAC.