WINCHESTER, Va. - Senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) sank five three-pointers as part of a season-high 17 points as the 9th-ranked Randolph-Macon men's basketball team won 96-76 at Shenandoah in ODAC action on Wednesday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 96, Shenandoah 76
Location/Venue: Winchester, Va./Wilkins Center
Records: R-MC 19-2, 11-1 ODAC; SU 5-15, 1-10 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Hornets started the scoring with a three-pointer before Neeley nailed four straight treys to highlight a 25-8 run as the Yellow Jackets took a 25-11 lead with 12:40 left in the first half. Six straight points by SU cut the deficit to eight at 25-17 with 11:00 remaining. R-MC called timeout and proceeded to score 15 straight points, including six by senior Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy), as the visitors took a 45-20 advantage with 6:35 left. The Yellow Jackets would eventually take a 49-31 lead at intermission. Neeley paced R-MC with 12 first-half points, followed by Nowell and sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) both with eight and senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) with seven.
- A layup by Nowell capped a 7-2 spurt at the start of the second half as the lead grew to 56-33 with 18:10 remaining. Neeley had a layup with 5:18 left to give R-MC a 27-point lead at 89-62. The Yellow Jackets would finish with a 96-76 victory.
By The Numbers
- R-MC had five players score in double figures. Along with 17 by Neeley, Anthony scored 15, Midulla and freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) added 13 each, while Nowell chipped in 10.
- Neeley had six field goals and five treys, both matching season highs.
- The Yellow Jackets shot 56.3% from the floor (36-64) and 50% on treys (14-28).
- Midulla paced the Yellow Jackets with seven rebounds.
- Anthony led R-MC with four assists, while Robertson had a pair of blocks.
- R-MC extended its win streak to six.
- Josh Merkel coached his 100th game for the Yellow Jackets. He has a 67-33 record in his fourth season as head coach at R-MC.
- Randolph-Macon returns home to host Roanoke on Saturday, February 2 at 4:30 p.m. It will be Senior Day, Alumni Day, and the annual Matt Davis Foundation Game.