SALEM, Va. - Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) scored 13 points and was named to the All-Tournament Team as the 5th-ranked and top-seeded Randolph-Macon men's basketball team fell 70-59 to second-seeded Guilford on Sunday afternoon in the finals of the ODAC Tournament.
Score: #2 Guilford 70, #1 Randolph-Macon 59
Location/Venue: Salem, Va./Salem Civic Center
Records: R-MC 25-3, GC 21-7
How It Happened
- Anthony hit a three-pointer and converted a three-point play as the Yellow Jackets sprinted out to a 9-3 lead three minutes into the contest. The Quakers went on a 15-2 run to take an 18-11 advantage before a three-pointer by junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) made it 18-14 midway through the first period. A free throw and layup by freshman Ian Robertson (Lewes, Del./Cape Henlopen) made it a one-point game at 18-17 with 8:35 remaining. A trey by Robertson tied the game at 24-24 with 4:30 left. GC hit the next two buckets before Anthony nailed a buzzer-beater from the corner as R-MC trailed 28-26 at the break. Anthony had eight points and a pair of assists, while Robertson added six points.
- GC had the first bucket of the second half before a three-pointer by senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) pulled the Yellow Jackets within one at 30-29. The Quakers used a 17-5 run to take a 47-34 lead with 10:55 remaining. A layup by sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) and a trey by Bays made it an eight-point game at 47-39 midway through the period. GC had a layup with 5:35 left to take the lead back to 13 at 56-43 and that would be their final field goal. The Quakers went 14-16 from the free throw line the rest of the way. A three-pointer by Anthony with 1:37 left pulled R-MC within five, but that was as close as it would get. GC hit its final 10 free throw attempts in the last 1:10 to claim the 70-59 win.
By The Numbers
- Anthony had 13 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals.
- Neeley had 10 points and joined Anthony on the ODAC All-Tournament Team.
- Bays hit four three-pointers for 12 points, giving R-MC three in double figures.
- Bays and senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) tied for team honors with 6 rebounds. Williams had five points and a pair of blocks.
- Senior Jon Nowell (Riverdale, Ga./Blair Academy) was forced to leave the game after 20 seconds due to an injury. Senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) was in uniform but did not play.
- The Yellow Jackets had their 12-game win streak snapped.
- R-MC is 6-8 in ODAC title games. The Yellow Jackets are 0-2 vs. the Quakers in the ODAC finals.
- The NCAA will announce tournament sites and pairings on Monday, Feb. 25 at 12:30 p.m. ET. The announcement will be available live on NCAA.com and will be recapped on rmcathletics.com.