ASHLAND, Va. - Senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) scored a career-high 22, and junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) matched his career best with 24 points, as the Randolph-Macon men's basketball team defeated Morrisville State 95-70 Friday evening in the first round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 95, Morrisville State 70
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 26-3, MSC 23-5
How It Happened
- Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding), Bays and Williams had buckets to give R-MC an early 6-0 lead, a lead the Yellow Jackets would not relinquish. R-MC led 9-6 before a layup by senior Grayson Midulla (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) capped an 8-0 run as the Yellow Jackets went up 17-6 with 12:50 left in the first half. Three-pointers by Williams and Bays gave R-MC a 31-14 advantage with 8:15 remaining. The Mustangs scored 10 straight points to narrow the deficit to seven at 31-24 with 5:20 left. Williams had five points in another 8-0 spurt as the lead grew to 15 at 39-24 with 3:45 remaining. MSC put up seven straight points before a bank shot by senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) gave the Yellow Jackets a 41-31 lead at the half. Williams had 12 points in the first half, while Bays and Anthony both added eight.
- Bays had a pair of treys sandwiched around a layup by sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) as the advantage ballooned to 49-31 with 18:35 left in the second period. A three-pointer by Neeley pushed the lead to 21 at 56-35 with 16:50 remaining. The Mustangs put together a 13-3 spurt to make it 59-48 with 13:20 left. Anthony had a pair of layups in a 6-2 run as the Yellow Jackets went up 65-50 with 11:10 remaining. MSC made it a 10-point game at 72-62 before a layup by Woods capped a 21-6 run to give R-MC its largest lead at 93-68 with 1:10 left. The Yellow Jackets posted the 95-70 victory.
By The Numbers
- Williams went 9-11 from the floor and hit 3 of 4 three-point attempts. Williams also had five rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Bays had nine field goals, of which six were behind the ard.
- R-MC had five score in double figures. Anthony had 15 points, Neeley had 12 and Woods scored 10.
- Anthony had eight assists, while Woods dished out five.
- The Yellow Jackets forced 22 turnovers and Neeley had four of the 12 R-MC steals.
- R-MC won its first meeting with Morrisville State.
- R-MC is making its 25th NCAA Tournament appearance. Tonight's game was the 50th NCAA Tournament contest for the Yellow Jackets. R-MC is now 21-29 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
- Randolph-Macon will host York (Pa.) on Saturday, March 2 at 7 p.m. in the second round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Tournament. The Spartans defeated DeSales 83-59 in the day's first game.