ASHLAND, Va. - Sophomore Buzz Anthony (Arnold, Md./Archbishop Spalding) led all players with 21 points, 9 rebounds and 8 assists as the Randolph-Macon men's basketball team outscored York (Pa.) 78-60 on Saturday evening in the second round of the 2019 NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Tournament.
Score: Randolph-Macon 78, York 60
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Crenshaw Gym
Records: R-MC 27-3, York 22-8
How It Happened
- After the Spartans had the first bucket of the game, Anthony hit a pair of free throws and senior Darryl Williams (Columbia, Md./Glenelg Country) hit one foul shot to put the Yellow Jackets on top 3-2. A three-pointer by senior Luke Neeley (Orange, Va./Woodberry Forest) gave R-MC a 10-7 lead with 16:25 left in the first period. The Yellow Jackets had a slim 14-13 edge before Anthony had five points in an 8-2 spurt as the home team took a 22-15 advantage with 10:30 remaining. R-MC had a 26-20 lead before York hit four straight layups to take a 28-26 advantage with 6:15 left. A trey by junior Corey Bays (Bel Air, Md./CM Wright) and a layup by Anthony put the Yellow Jackets up 31-28 with 4:10 remaining. After the Spartans tied it, Anthony hit a 15-foot jumper as R-MC reclaimed the lead at 33-31 with 1:15 left. Anthony hit a floater in the lane that was ruled to have come after the halftime buzzer, as the Yellow Jackets took a two-point advantage at intermission. Anthony led R-MC with 13 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- Neeley hit a three-pointer and assisted on a layup by Williams as the Yellow Jackets matched their largest lead at 38-31 less than one minute into the second half. A Bays trey gave R-MC a 45-35 advantage with 17:15 remaining. York used a 14-2 spurt to go ahead 49-47 before a layup and a trey by Bays capped a 16-0 run as the Yellow Jackets grabbed a 63-49 lead with 4:50 left. The R-MC defense held York scoreless for more than six minutes. A layup by Anthony stretched the lead to 16 at 68-52 with 3:20 left. The Yellow Jackets scored their next eight points from the free throw line before a layup by freshman Daquan Morris (Philadelphia, Pa./Hill School) gave the home team a 20-point lead at 78-58 with 11 seconds left. The Spartans had the game's last bucket to make the final 78-60.
By The Numbers
- Anthony went 8 for 10 from the floor, 2 for 3 on treys and made 3 free throws.
- R-MC had four score in double figures. Sophomore Terry Woods (Burlington, N.C./Burlington School) had a career-high 13 points, going 4 for 8 from the floor and 5 for 6 from the free throw line. Williams put up 12 points and Bays added 11.
- The Yellow Jackets won the battle of the boards 33-27. R-MC held York to six offensive rebounds.
- R-MC forced 15 turnovers. The Yellow Jackets are among the nation's leaders in fewest turnovers per contest. R-MC had just nine turnovers.
- York shot 54% from the floor in the first half (13-24), but just 39% in the second stanza (12-31).
- York went 14 for 27 (51.9%) on three-pointers in its first round NCAA Tournament game vs. DeSales on Friday. The Spartans hit just 5 of 22 (22.7%) from beyond the arc vs. R-MC.
- R-MC has reached the Round of 16 in the NCAA Tournament for the eighth time in program history and the fourth time in the past 10 years.
- The Yellow Jackets improved to 12-0 at home in Crenshaw Gym this season and are now 8-4 all-time in home NCAA Tournament contests.
- R-MC is one win away from the program record of 28 victories in a season, set during the 2002-03 season and matched in 2014-15.
- Randolph-Macon will learn its destination for the Round of 16 of the 2019 NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Tournament on Sunday, March 3. Games would be played on Friday, March 8 and Saturday, March 9.