ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Men's Lacrosse came up just two goals short against Catholic Saturday afternoon in the Yellow Jackets' home opener for 2019.
Score: Catholic 11, Randolph-Macon 9
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Catholic (1-1), Randolph-Macon (1-1)
How It Happened
- Catholic got the first score of the game at the 12:33 mark in the first quarter. R-MC's defense held the Cardinals to just the lone goal for much of the first period, but the Cardinals were able to score a pair of goals in quick succession at 5:57 to go and 4:28 to go in the quarter. Catholic tacked one on at 2:54 to go ahead 4-0. Randolph-Macon was able to get one back just seconds after the Cardinal score as junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) took a pass from fellow junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) and sent it into the cage.
- Flora handled the goal all himself four minutes into the second period to cut the Catholic lead to 4-2. It was one of four goals in the period for the Yellow Jackets, while the Cardinals scored three in the seven-goal quarter. Markovic took a pass from junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) into goal in a man-up situation with 7:42 to go. Catholic added a goal seconds later. Tiffey got an assist from his brother, freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) around the 3:30 mark as R-MC again cut the Cardinals lead to two. But again Catholic scored to strengthen its position before Flora finished the quarter with his second unassisted goal of the period with under a minute to play, leaving the Randolph-Macon deficit at two for halftime.
- All of the scoring in the third quarter came in the early stages. Catholic scored with 11:34 to go, extending its lead to three. Junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) cut the lead once more after a pass from freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) helped him net a goal with 9:53 to go. But the Cardinals put the lead back at three seconds later in the last offensive strike of the third period.
- A quick goal by Randolph-Macon put them back in familiar territory early in the fourth quarter. Andrew Tiffey hit a goal after fellow freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt) gave him a pass he took into the cage. About four minutes later, R-MC got closer than any time previous – a one-goal deficit – after junior Andrew Hogg (Charlottesville, VA / Albemarle) scored on a pass from fellow junior James Mahan (Salem, VA / Salem). Catholic scored once more about a minute after Hogg's goal, but Ryan Tiffey got close again with a goal around the seven-minute mark. Tiffey scored with an assist to senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County). Catholic added one more to settle the final score at 11-9.
Inside The Numbers
- Markovic, Ryan Tiffey and Flora each tallied two goals on the day.
- Anderson and DiSesa led the Yellow Jackets with six shots on the afternoon. Anderson had three shots land on goal.
- Junior Ben Swavely (Downingtown, PA / Downingtown East) picked up five ground balls in the contest.
- Senior Austin Evans (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) caused a trio of turnovers, while junior Merrick Wood (Arnold, MD / Severna Park), junior Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis), and freshman Thomas Gentry (Richmond, VA / Douglas S. Freeman) along with Flora each caused one.
- Senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) made 13 saves in goal for the Yellow Jackets.
- Randolph-Macon held the 12-9 edge in faceoffs. Junior Joe Maranto (Joppa, MD / Fallston\) won seven while sophomore Jack Silvernale (Warrenton, VA / Highland School) won five.
- R-MC held the edge picking up ground balls in the match – 24-22.
Randolph-Macon will face Goucher next Saturday at Day Field at 1:00 PM.