ASHLAND, Va. – Down 8-3 in the third period, Randolph-Macon Men's Lacrosse rallied for five straight goals, tying the match before eventually sending it to overtime with a literal last-second goal. In overtime, the Yellow Jackets found the golden goal to win their Saturday afternoon match under rainy conditions.
Score: Randolph-Macon 10, Goucher 9
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (2-1), Goucher (0-2)
How It Happened
- Goucher had control of the match from the word go. With three goals in quick succession, R-MC got just a single goal in the first period as freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) scored on an assist from senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County) with 9:14 remaining in the quarter. Goucher enjoyed a 4-1 advantage heading into the second quarter.
- Goucher scored early in the third quarter, but R-MC made a pair of goals late in the frame. In a man-up situation, junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) took a pass from Anderson into the cage, netting Anderson's second assist and the first goal of the match for DiSesa.
- Smith scored once more on an unassisted look with just seconds to go before halftime. The R-MC deficit was two heading into the break at 5-3.
- Goucher continued its pace, scoring at the 12:36 mark of the third quarter. Neither team netted another goal for nearly eight minutes of action before Goucher scored with 4:06 and 1:28 left in the period, pushing their lead to 8-3. Junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) tallied a score in a man-up situation with 44 seconds to go in the third frame to cut the Goucher lead.
- Down four, R-MC's offense turned on the jets. Freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) scored from a pass from junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) with 12:33 to go in the fourth. Markovic had his own goal on a pass from Smith about two minutes later, cutting the Goucher lead to just two.
- From there, DiSesa handled a pair of goals in quick succession to tie the match. With 6:34 to go, DiSesa scored with moves all his own. Seconds later, he took a pass from Ryan Tiffey into the cage in a man-up situation, stemming from a penalty against Goucher for too many faceoff violations.
- With the game tied 8-8, Goucher took the breath from the Yellow Jackets with 36 seconds left, scoring a goal that put them ahead 9-8.
- As Yellow Jackets everywhere continued holding their breath, junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) gave that breath right back, as with a literal second left on the clock, he took a ball into the cage and tallied the tying goal on a pass from DiSesa. The score forced overtime.
- In the extra frame, Markovic got a shot off in the middle of a scrum in front of the cage after taking a pass from Andrew Tiffey, who was around the side of the cage. It went in and secured the golden-goal victory for Randolph-Macon.
Inside The Numbers
- DiSesa tallied five points on the day between his three goals and two assists. He also picked up five ground balls. Flora also added five ground balls, both team leads.
- Smith led the team in shots with 12, with six falling on goal.
- Junior Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis) forced six turnovers on the afternoon. Flora added three caused turnovers and junior Merrick Wood (Arnold, MD / Severna Park) added two.
- Senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) made six saves in goal.
- R-MC led with 46 shots compared to Goucher's 26. R-MC also limited turnovers, only giving up 17 against Goucher's 27.
- Sophomore Jack Silvernale (Warrenton, VA / Highland School) won 10 of his 15 faceoffs.
The Yellow Jackets travel to Haverford for a contest next Saturday at 12:00 PM.