HAVERFORD, Pa. – Junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) scored four goals and two assists while his brother, freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) added two goals and three assists as Randolph-Macon Men's Lacrosse took the victory 14-8 against Haverford on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 14, Haverford 8
Location/Venue: Haverford, Pa./Swan Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (3-1), Haverford (0-4)
How It Happened
- Haverford got on the board early with a pair of goals, the first coming at 9:15 remaining and the other coming with 5:50 to go in the first, both by Stephen DeLeo. But R-MC evened the score as Ryan Tiffey took a pass from junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) to the cage for R-MC's opening score. Andrew Tiffey took a pass from Ryan Tiffey into the cage just moments before the quarter expired to even the score heading into the second period.
- R-MC owned most of the first part of the quarter. Junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) took a pass from Andrew Tiffey into goal at the 11:05 mark to go ahead 3-2. Andrew Tiffey then scored on an assist from Ryan Tiffey for the second time in the half, just a minute after DiSesa's goal.
- Junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) had a clean look at goal around the 8:57 to go mark to push R-MC ahead 5-2. Moments later, freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) made an unassisted goal to get R-MC up 6-2. Haverford added two goals leading up to halftime, but R-MC held the advantage at halftime.
- After Haverford scored in the first minute of the second half, freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt) answered to keep the Yellow Jacket advantage at two. Haverford added another one before Ryan Tiffey made a pair of goals in a row a minute apart. Andrew Tiffey got the credit on the assist for the first goal, while Markovic made the pass on the second. The Tiffeys combined for the final goal of the period, as with seconds to go, Andrew passed over to Ryan who took it into goal, putting R-MC up 10-7.
- In the final frame, DiSesa opened the scoring at the 11:06 mark, giving R-MC back its biggest lead of the afternoon at four. Haverford answered, but R-MC finished out the period with three straight goals. Marsilio added his second of the day on a goal at the 7:00 mark. Markovic made his third assist on the afternoon, sending a pass over to Smith, who then netted his second goal of the afternoon just a minute later. Markovic got his own goal in a man-up situation with 2:41 to go in the period. Junior James Mahan (Salem, VA / Salem) got the credit for the assist on the final goal.
Inside The Numbers
- Smith led the team in shots with six, having three land on goal. All five of Ryan Tiffey's shots came on goal.
- Senior Austin Evans (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) led the team with four caused turnovers. Flora and junior Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis) each added two as well.
- Flora led the team with nine ground balls, which was a game-high. It was also a career-high for Flora. Evans also picked up four ground balls on the afternoon.
- Senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) made ten saves in goal. He also picked up five ground balls.
- Junior Dan Muller (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) went 11-21 on faceoffs.
Randolph-Macon will face St. Mary's on Wednesday, March 6. Due to forecasted cold, the match has been moved to 4:00 PM.