ASHLAND, Va. – Junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) scored four goals, including two in a row in the second quarter as the Yellow Jackets marched to victory Wednesday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 12, St. Mary's (Md.) 9
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (4-1), St. Mary's (Md.) (3-3)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon got the early jump. The Yellow Jackets dominated the first half of the opening period, scoring three in a row unanswered. Junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) scored with the assist credit to freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) in the first two minutes of the game. Then Tiffey connected with fellow freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) for a goal at the 9:24 mark. Senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County) had the final of the unanswered goals, scoring at the 6:33 mark in the frame. St. Mary's scored two in a row, but R-MC ended the period on a high-note with Tiffey taking a pass from freshman Jack Averna (Warrenton, VA / Fauquier) into the cage to give R-MC the 4-2 advantage.
- The teams traded goals early, but R-MC kept its distance. St. Mary's scored eary, but gave way as Markovic scored his first of the afternoon, taking a pass from freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt) into the cage. St. Mary's answered, but junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) took a pass from Andrew Tiffey in for the score around the 8:36 mark. Markovic then scored two more in a row with just around two minutes in between. The first goal was off a pass from Smith before Andrew Tiffey collected his third assist of the day on Markovic's second goal in quick succession. R-MC tallied one more as junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) sent a pass into Anderson for his second of the afternoon. R-MC had the 9-5 lead at halftime.
- Markovic added his fourth goal barely more than a minute into the third frame, taking an unassisted look at the cage and doubling St. Mary's score, giving R-MC the 10-5 lead. SMC added one more before the period was over, but R-MC still kept the advantage heading into the final frame.
- Andrew Tiffey scored the first goal of the final period as Smith sent him a pass he took to goal. St. Mary's added one but the Tiffey brothers connected for one final R-MC goal as Andrew sent a pass to Ryan which he converted to points in a man-up situation with 4:33 to go. St. Mary's added two goals with under three to play, but the score would settle in R-MC's favor 12-9.
Inside The Numbers
- Andrew Tiffey finished with seven points on the day, two goals and five assists. His five assists in this game are the most in any one game for a Yellow Jacket since Sam Mayer on March 18, 2017 against Randolph, who made seven assists against the WildCats.
- All four of Markovic's shots landed in the cage today. His four goals match his career-high of four set last year against Shenandoah.
- Flora led the team in both ground balls and caused turnovers. He tallied eight ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Senior Cole Churchill (Hillsborough, NC / Cedar Ridge) also made a pair of caused turnovers.
- Senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) made 16 saves in goal with the team adding one save on the afternoon.
- R-MC was 15-23 on faceoffs in the game, with junior Dan Muller (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) going 6-9, fellow junior Joe Maranto (Joppa, MD / Fallston) going 4-8 and sophomore Jack Silvernale (Warrenton, VA / Highland School) going 5-6 at the X.
Randolph-Macon will face Washington and Lee in its conference opener in Lexington on Saturday at 1:00 PM.