LEXINGTON, Va. – Randolph-Macon junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) scored a pair of goals as Randolph-Macon men's lacrosse battled 14th-ranked Washington and Lee Saturday afternoon in both teams' conference opener.
Score: #14 Washington and Lee 14, Randolph-Macon 6
Location/Venue: Lexington, Va./Wilson Field
Records: Washington and Lee (4-3, 1-0 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (4-2, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The goals came in quick succession in the first quarter. After W&L struck first about 50 seconds into the contest, four goals were scored within three minutes of each other in the middle of the period. W&L added three of the four. In Randolph-Macon's first score, junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) took a shot into the cage for the score off a pass from freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt).
- Later in the first, R-MC got a score from freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) to cut W&L's lead in half to 4-2. W&L added one before the end of the frame to take the 5-2 advantage into the second period.
- W&L got four straight goals to begin the second frame. Tiffey scored his first of the afternoon with 2:24 to go in the second quarter, after a pass from fellow junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill). The score was followed by another pair by W&L, which took an 11-3 lead at halftime.
- The third quarter was marked more by defense as only three goals made it in during the frame. R-MC scored as DiSesa offered a pass to senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County), who placed it in the cage for the score. W&L retained the lead 13-4 heading into the final frame.
- Tiffey scored his second of the day with an unassisted effort at goal with 6:43 to go in the fourth quarter. W&L added a goal a few minutes later. But R-MC finished strong with a score with 1:17 remaining as brother duo of freshman Luke Pratt and junior Lee Pratt (Winston-Salem, NC / Ronald Reagan) connected for R-MC's sixth goal. Lee sent a pass over to Luke, who placed it in the goal to settle the final score at 14-6.
Inside The Numbers
- R-MC's defense showed strong against the Generals. Sophomore Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis) made four caused turnovers, junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) added two and seniors Austin Evans (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) and Matt Surock (Baltimore, MD / Loch Raven) as well as DiSesa added one each.
- Along with being in goal, senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) made five ground ball pickups. Flora added four. Evans and Stramanak each made three ground ball pickups as well.
- DiSesa led the team with nine shots. Six of them came on goal. Anderson and Markovic each had five shots as well.
- Cerrina made 13 saves in goal for the Yellow Jackets today.
- Junior Joe Maranto (Joppa, MD / Fallston) won five of the eight faceoffs he attempted at the X for the game.
- Luke Pratt's goal was the first of his collegiate career.
Randolph-Macon next faces Guilford at 1:00 PM on Saturday, March 16 at Day Field.