FERRUM, Va. – The Yellow Jackets' freshmen came up big, scoring six of R-MC's eight goals as Randolph-Macon Men's Lacrosse defeated Ferrum in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action Saturday afternoon.
Score: Randolph-Macon 8, Ferrum 2
Location/Venue: Ferrum, Va./W.B. Adams Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon (6-2, 2-1 ODAC), Ferrum (1-8, 0-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Ferrum was able to score first with 11:11 to go in the first period. But R-MC evened the score later in the first quarter as freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt) took a pass from junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) into goal with 3:02 remaining. The teams left the quarter with a 1-1 score.
- Ferrum scored again in the early parts of the second half, hitting a goal around the 7:23 mark of the quarter. Marsilio evened the score once again, as with about a minute left to go in the half, he sent a goal into the cage to even the score at 2-2.
- The second half was dominated by Randolph-Macon. R-MC scored just about two minutes into the third quarter as junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) fed a pass to freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake), who slotted it into the cage for the score. Tiffey scored later in the period as fellow freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) sent him a pass, which and made it 4-2 in R-MC's favor. After a turnover by the Panthers on the proceeding faceoff, junior Davis Hitt (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis) got a chance at goal, which he converted into the score. R-MC's onslaught of offense continued as senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County) scored an unassisted goal with 7:16 to go in the period to put R-MC up 6-2. R-MC closed to quarter out with a goal by Tiffey, who took a pass from his brother, junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) into the cage in a man-advantage situation. R-MC left the frame with a 7-2 lead.
- Randolph-Macon added one more goal in the early stages of the fourth quarter as Smith took a pass from Andrew Tiffey and slotted it in the cage for R-MC's eighth and final goal of the day.
Inside The Numbers
- Senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) made 13 saves in goal, claiming a 86% save percentage while working inside the crease.
- Junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) caused two turnovers and picked up a ground ball.
- Andrew Tiffey, Smith, Cerrina, junior Dan Muller (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) and junior Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis) each picked up team-high three ground balls.
- Muller won six of 11 faceoffs he went to the X for.
- R-MC did not allow Ferrum on the board for the entire second half.
Randolph-Macon will face William Peace on Wednesday, March 27 at 7:00 PM. NOTE: The game against WPU had previously been listed at 4:00 PM in programs, schedule cards and online at the beginning of the season. Please take note of the corrected time.