WINCHESTER, Va. – With under a second to play, freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt) took a no-look behind-the-back shot at the cage following a pass from junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover). The try snuck into the opposite side of the cage and closed out an exciting R-MC win that saw six ties and five lead changes over the 64 minute game.
Score: Randolph-Macon 8, Frostburg State 7 (OT)
Location/Venue: Winchester, Va./Sprint Field at Shentel Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon (8-2), Frostburg State (7-3)
How It Happened
- It was a close game from the start. Freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) scored off a pass from senior Cole Churchill (Hillsborough, NC / Cedar Ridge), sending R-MC ahead 1-0. The Bobcats scored with 6:28 to go in the first quarter, tying the game at 1-1. R-MC ended the period with two goals in as many minutes as freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) taking a pass from DiSesa to the cage. That was followed by junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) taking a pass from Andrew Tiffey for the score above the cage.
- Frostburg State took over the second quarter, scoring three times and preventing R-MC's offense from getting started. FSU took a 4-3 lead into the halftime break.
- The R-MC offense reappeared with a vengeance in the early portions of the third quarter. Smith scored his second of the day after taking a pass from Andrew Tiffey to the cage to tie the game at 4-4. Junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) then scored to give R-MC the lead back just two minutes after the tying goal. FSU tied the match with under a minute to play in the third quarter as the teams headed to the fourth quarter at 5-5.
- DiSesa scored to give R-MC the edge at the 10:47 mark in the fourth quarter. Ryan Tiffey got the credit for the assist on DiSesa's goal, shooting him the pass for success. Frostburg ripped off two goals in a row to take the lead 7-6. But Markovic ensured overtime with a score at 6:48 to go in the fourth with an unassisted shot at goal that found the net.
- The two teams battled through overtime with Frostburg State getting off three shots and Randolph-Macon finding one. But Randolph-Macon would end the period with poessesion. With just seconds remaining, DiSesa sent a pass from above the crease to the right side of goal to Marsilio. Marsilio took the pass and flung a shot over his shoulder, clearing both the defender on his back and the goalie in the net. The shot hit the net as time expired as the Yellow Jackets claimed victory.
Inside The Numbers
- Senior Austin Evans (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) and junior Merrick Wood (Arnold, MD / Severna Park) each caused three turnovers. Senior Cole Churchill (Hillsborough, NC / Cedar Ridge) added two caused turnovers, as did senior goalie Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood).
- Cerrina made 13 saves on the day, working the full game in goal. He also led the Yellow Jackets with six ground balls.
- Senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County) was close behind with four ground balls. Junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) and Churchill along with Smith each added three ground ball pickups. R-MC led with 35 ground balls compared to FSU's 31.
- Junior Dan Muller (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) won five faceoffs while junior Joe Maranto (Joppa, MD / Fallston) won two.
Randolph-Macon will face Hampden-Sydney on Saturday at H-SC beginning at 1:00 PM.