HAMPDEN-SYDNEY, Va. – Senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County) matched his career-high for assists, dishing out four for Men's Lacrosse as the Yellow Jackets fell in a Saturday afternoon Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest at Hampden-Sydney.
Score: Hampden-Sydney 14, Randolph-Macon 11
Location/Venue: Hampden-Sydney, Va./Everett Stadium
Records: Hampden-Sydney (9-3, 4-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (9-3, 3-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon struck first with a score about three-and-a-half minutes into the match. Junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) hit a shot to open the scoring, with freshman Jack Averna (Warrenton, VA / Fauquier) assisting on the play. H-SC got the goal back a few minutes later. The next R-MC goal was the first of the day that Anderson was able to connect for an assist. The senior sent a pass over to junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake), who slotted it for a goal, the first of four for Tiffey on the day. H-SC scored before the end of the period to send the game to the second locked at 2-2.
- H-SC broke the game open in the second frame. The Tigers scored seven unanswered, getting ahead 9-2. Anderson connected with Tiffey for the second time, as Tiffey scored with under a minute to play in the half.
- The Yellow Jackets repaid the favor in the third quarter. R-MC scored three straight to open the period, beginning with junior James Mahan (Salem, VA / Salem) taking a pass from Markovic to goal just seconds into the period. Anderson then continued the tremendous field vision, sending a pass to freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) for the score with 12:53 to go in the period. Junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) scored with 10:55 to go, cutting H-SC's lead to just three. H-SC got one back seconds later, but Ryan Tiffey pushed the lead back to three with a score after taking a pass from Anderson to goal. R-MC also scored with less than a second to go in the third quarter as Andrew Tiffey got the goal, one of three on the day for him. DiSesa was credited with the assist. H-SC left the quarter with an 11-8 lead.
- The Tigers extended their lead early in the final quarter with a goal just three minutes into the frame. R-MC answered the goal with a goal of its own from DiSesa. He took a pass from freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt) into the cage, cutting the lead back to three for H-SC. H-SC scored two straight to put the advantage at 14-9, but Randolph-Macon wasn't done. Ryan Tiffey scored an unassisted goal with 6:02 to go in the frame. That goal was followed by Andrew Tiffey scoring on a pass from Markovic with 4:31 to go in the game, but that would be all the offense for the rest of the game and settled the final score at a 14-11 Hampden-Sydney win.
Inside The Numbers
- Anderson matched his career-high of four assists, which he attained earlier this season at Methodist. Ryan Tiffey and Andrew Tiffey each tied career-high for goals as well, scoring four and three respectively.
- R-MC senior goalkeeper Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) matched his career-high for saves, tallying 16 on the game. He recorded 16 against St. Mary's earlier this season as well as last season against Haverford.
- Five Yellow Jackets each forced two turnovers. Seniors Austin Evans (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) and Merrick Wood (Arnold, MD / Severna Park) each got two caused turnovers, as did juniors Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) and Nate Malinowski (Middle River, MD / Boys' Latin). Junior Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis) also made a pair of caused turnovers.
- Cerrina led the Yellow Jackets with six ground balls. Wood was close behind with five. Stramanak, Flora and junior Joe Maranto (Joppa, MD / Fallston) each had four ground balls as well.
- Maranto won nine of the 15 faceoffs he was sent out to the X for.
Randolph-Macon will face Randolph on Wednesday at 7:00 PM in Lynchburg.