Posted: Apr 10, 2019
LYNCHBURG, Va. – Junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill) tallied six points, while he and fellow junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) each scored three times as Men's Lacrosse earned a conference win against Randolph on Wednesday evening.
Score: Randolph-Macon 17, Randolph 5
Location/Venue: Lynchburg, Va./WildCat Stadium
Records: Randolph-Macon (10-3, 3-2 ODAC), Randolph (3-10, 0-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- R-MC opened the scoring with a goal by Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis). The defender, who has had a habit of finding the goal of late, scored on an unassisted play at goal to start the game off well for the Yellow Jackets. Junior Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) took an assisting pass from Markovic moments later to put R-MC up 2-0. Randolph got one goal back, but R-MC answered and then some. Markovic scored with an assist from junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover). Junior Michael Altobello (Potomac, MD / Winston Churchill) then got a score after an assist from DiSesa with 8:45 to go. Tiffey finished the 3-0 run with a goal following another assisting pass from DiSesa. Randolph got one goal back but R-MC finished with a goal with under a minute to play as freshman Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, PA / Bishop McDevitt) connected with fellow freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) for the score that put R-MC ahead 6-2.
- The Yellow Jackets shut out the WildCats in the second quarter. Meantime, the team's offense was still busy at work. DiSesa scored first, barely a minute into the frame. Markovic added two within two minutes at the 11:31 and the 9:38 marks in the period. Senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County) was credited with the assist on his first goal. Junior James Mahan (Salem, VA / Salem) finished the frame out with a goal at 1:29 to go after taking an assisting pass from sophomore Michael Peters (Towson, MD / Boys' Latin). R-MC took a 10-2 lead into the break.
- The Yellow Jackets got their second straight shutout period in the third quarter. Similarly to the second, Randolph-Macon scored five in the frame. Stramanak scored his second of the game, while DiSesa added his third. Junior Davis Hitt (Annapoilis, Md./Annapolis) scored with 10:34 left in the period. Both DiSesa and Hitt's goals were helped by Markovic. Anderson added a goal within a minute of Hitt's goal and DiSesa finished off the quarter with a goal to put R-MC ahead 15-2.
- Peters scored to lead off the fourth quarter. The goal and the earlier assist are Peters' first of his career. Randolph added two goals in about two-and-a-half minutes. But freshman Jack Averna (Warrenton, Va./Faquier) answered after the second WildCats' goal, scoring his third goal of the season. Randolph added one before the end of the game, finalizing the score at 17-5.
Inside The Numbers
- Senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, N.J./Ridgewood) made four saves in 35 minutes in the goal. Freshman Tommy Kane (Crofton, Md./DeMatha) made two saves in 18 minutes of work. Freshman Sam Averna (Warrenton, Va./Faquier) also got six minutes of action in the cage.
- Stramanak led the team defensively with three caused turnovers. Seniors Austin Evans (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) and Josh Lovejoy (Las Vegas, Nev./Palo Verde), junior Merrick Wood (Arnold, Md/Severna Park) and freshmen Connor Bryan (Wayne, Pa./Shipley School), Scott Ruelle (Clifton, Va./Centreville) and Brandon Smith (Richmond, Va./Douglas Freeman) all contributed one caused turnover.
- Flora led the team with four ground balls. Evans, Smith, Stramanak, Andrew Tiffey along with junior Joe Maranto (Joppa, Md./Fallston) and freshman Cole Abid (Rockville, Md./Wootton) each had two ground ball pickups.
- Junior Dan Muller (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) won six of the nine faceoffs he attempted tonight. Maranto also won four faceoffs.
- R-MC outshot Randolph 45-14. DiSesa led the team with seven shots with Ryan Tiffey close behind, trying six shots.
Randolph-Macon will face Shenandoah in Winchester at 1:00 PM on Saturday.