ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon Men's Lacrosse fell in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference matchup Wednesday night as the 20th-ranked Lynchburg Hornets defeated the Yellow Jackets 19-6.
Score: #20 Lynchburg 19, Randolph-Macon 6
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Lynchburg (10-4, 7-0 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (11-4, 5-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Lynchburg jumped out to a 4-0 led with a pair of goals within 30 seconds of one another and another two goals within a minute-and-a-half of each other later in the quarter. R-MC got on the board midway through the first period as freshman Jack Averna (Warrenton, VA / Fauquier) scored on an unassisted play with 5:11 to go. Lynchburg added another before the period was out, but so did the Yellow Jackets as junior Dan Muller (Glen Allen, VA / Glen Allen) scored following a faceoff in which he won and got the ground ball before sprinting towards the cage to finish the scoring play.
- Randolph-Macon got a pair of goals from junior Colin DiSesa (Ashland, VA / Hanover) in the second quarter. He scored on an unassisted play with 5:50 to go in the frame before adding one with under a minute to play off an assisting pass from freshman Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake). But Lynchburg added three in the period and enjoyed a 8-4 halftime lead.
- The Hornets came out of the second half with an offensive onslaught. The Hornets scored six unanswered, including three in a one minute period, getting ahead 12-4. After adding two more to a 14-4 lead, freshman Brandon Smith (Richmond, VA / Douglas Freeman) broke the run thanks to an assisting pass from junior Brendan Markovic (Westminster, MD / Winters Mill). The Hornets closed the frame with a goal to put the difference back at ten heading into the final quarter.
- Another run for Lynchburg put them ahead 19-5 in the early stages of the fourth quarter. Randolph-Macon ended the game with a goal by junior James Mahan (Salem, VA / Salem) with the assist credited to sophomore Will Pohlmann (Richmond, VA / Collegiate).
Inside The Numbers
- Junior Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, MD / Annapolis) led the team with three caused turnovers. Junior Merrick Wood (Arnold, MD / Severna Park) added two while DiSesa, Tiffey, juniors Ryan Tiffey (Columbia, MD / Wilde Lake) and Ben Swavely (Downingtown, PA / Downingtown East), senior Ty Anderson (Chestertown, MD / Kent County) and freshman Scott Ruelle (Clifton, VA / Centreville) each had one.
- Smith and Muller as well as junior Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, VA / Hanover) each had four ground balls. Anderson added three.
- Senior Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, NJ / Ridgewood) made seven saves.
- Muller won nine faceoffs on the night. Sophomore Jack Silvernale (Warrenton, VA / Highland School) also won two.
Randolph-Macon will face Roanoke on Saturday at Day Field in a contest beginning at 1:00 PM.