ASHLAND, Va. - Junior midfielder Brendan Markovic (Westminster, Md./Winters Mill) had two goals and an assist in the second half for the fourth-seeded Randolph-Macon men's lacrosse team, but fifth-seeded Roanoke scored 2:33 into overtime to claim a 9-8 win on Tuesday evening in the quarterfinals of the ODAC Tournament.
Score: #5 Roanoke 9, #4 Randolph-Macon 8 OT
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 13-5, RC 11-7
How It Happened
- After the Maroons netted the first goal of the contest, the Yellow Jackets answered as junior attack Colin DiSesa (Ashland, Va./Hanover) scored with four seconds left on the shot clock to tie the score at 1-1 with 4:41 left in the first period. RC had the final goal of the period as the visitors led 2-1 after one quarter. R-MC held an 11-10 edge in shots, 2-1 in face offs won, and 9-7 in ground balls.
- RC had the initial goal of the second stanza to go up 3-1. Junior defender Merrick Wood (Arnold, Md./Severna Park) attempted to make a long pass from beyond midfield that missed its intended target, but found its way into the net as the Yellow Jackets pulled within one at 3-2 with 2:45 left in the second quarter. The Maroons added a goal less than a minute later and led 4-2 at intermission. Both team had 18 first-half shots. Senior goalkeeeper Chris Cerrina (Ridgewood, N.J./Ridgewood) had six saves in the first half.
- Midway through the third period, freshman midfielder Derek Marsilio (Harrisburg, Pa./Bishop McDevitt) fed Markovic in front of the net. Markovic scored to pull R-MC within one at 4-3. The Yellow Jackets had a two-man advantage and DiSesa scored his second goal of the game on an assist by senior midfielder Ty Anderson (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) as R-MC leveled the score at 4-4 with 5:51 left in the third quarter. Markovic scored again on a pass from Marsilio as the Yellow Jackets took their first lead at 5-4 with 4:21 remaining in the third period. The Maroons would net the equalizer with 1:53 left as the teams headed to the final quarter tied at 5-5.
- Sophomore defender Camden Stramanak (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) took a pass at midfield, ran down and scored 24 seconds into the fourth period as R-MC reclaimed the lead at 6-5. RC would score with just under 10 minutes remaining to tie it at 6-6. With a man advantage, junior attack James Mahan (Salem, Va./Salem) scored on an assist by Markovic to the Yellow Jackets went up 7-6 with 4:35 left. The Maroons would even the score seven seconds later at 7-7. R-MC again had a man advantage and freshman attack Andrew Tiffey (Columbia, Md./Wilde Lake) scored on a pass from Anderson as the Yellow Jackets went ahead 8-7 with 2:16 remaining. After a turnover by R-MC, the Maroons again tied it with 42 seconds left at 8-8. RC won the face off, but could not net the game-winner as the game moved to overtime.
- RC scored on its second possession of overtime, netting the game-winner 2:33 into the extra period.
By The Numbers
- Cerrina had 11 saves, including four in the first period.
- R-MC held a 40-39 advantage in shots, including 21-20 for shots on goal. DiSesa paced the Yellow Jackets with 8 shots, including four on goal. Markovic added five shots.
- The Yellow Jackets had an 11-9 edge in face offs. Junior midfielder Dan Muller (Glen Allen, Va./Glen Allen) won 10 of his 18 face offs.
- R-MC had a 35-34 advantage in ground balls. Junior midfielder Tyler Flora (Mechanicsville, Va./Hanover) topped the Yellow Jackets with four.
- Stramanak had three caused turnovers.
- Randolph-Macon concludes its season at 13-5, setting a program record for wins in a season.