ASHLAND, Va. - Junior Isaac Myers (Littlestown, Pa./Gettysburg Area) scored nine minutes into the match and junior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va./Salem) nailed a penalty kick early in the second half as the Randolph-Macon men's soccer team blanked Hampden-Sydney 2-0 Wednesday evening in an ODAC contest on soggy Day Field.
Score: Randolph-Macon 2, Hampden-Sydney 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: R-MC 4-4, 1-2 ODAC; H-SC 3-4-1, 1-2 ODAC
How It Happened
- The Tigers tallied a pair of corner kicks in the first two minutes of the match. A shot by Hunter Weiland was saved by senior goalkeeper Brian Breslin (Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) to keep the contest scoreless. H-SC would only have one more corner kick on the night.
- In the ninth minute, senior Peyton Chichester (Richmond Va./James River) flicked the ball with his head to Myers, who deposited the ball inside the far post to give the Yellow Jackets a 1-0 advantage. It was the first goal of Myers' collegiate career.
- R-MC had consecutive shots by junior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va./Benedictine) and junior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md./Bel Air) blocked in the 39th minute as the first half would end 1-0.
- In the 54th minute, H-SC was whistled for a hand ball in the box. Duffy blasted the ball by the Tiger keeper to give the Yellow Jackets a 2-0 advantage.
- Astruc and sophomore Aaron Eiser (North Chesterfield, Va./Monacan) had shots on goal in the 60th minute, both of which were saved, and freshman Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan/Kubasaki) followed with a shot that was blocked as the home team kept the offensive pressure on H-SC.
- Myers looked to tally his second goal of the match in the 87th minute, but his header was saved just inside the near post as R-MC would post the 2-0 victory.
- The Yellow Jacket defense, led by Duffy, Myers, Eiser and freshman Ryan Staton (Mechanicsburg, Pa./Cumberland Valley), recorded its second shutout of the season and its first conference shutout in 2018. Breslin finished with three saves.
Inside the Numbers
- R-MC held a 14-11 edge in shots, including 5-3 in shots on goal. Astruc had five shots, including one on goal. Both of Myers' shots were on goal.
- The Yellow Jackets had six corner kicks, compared to three for the Tigers. Both teams had a pair in the first half, while R-MC had four in the second half.
Randolph-Macon plays a conference contest at Washington and Lee on Saturday, Sept. 29 at 3 p.m.