ASHLAND, Va. – Randolph-Macon men's soccer scored first, but Mary Washington found an equalizer late in the second half as R-MC played the eight-ranked team in the country to a 1-1 tie.
Score: Randolph-Macon 1, Mary Washington 1 (2OT)
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va./Day Field
Records: Randolph-Macon (6-6-2, 3-4-1 ODAC), Mary Washington (9-1-3, 2-1-1 CAC)
How It Happened
- R-MC got its first strong offensive chance in the 23rd minute as junior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va. / Salem) hit a header towards the goal, but the shot went wide.
- Duffy, along with fellow juniors Isaac Myers (Littlestown, Pa. / Gettysburg Area) and Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) played crucial roles through the middle and in the defending third, forcing Mary Washington to take unideal shots, none of which landed on goal.
- The teams went to the halftime break with locked at 0-0.
- Mary Washington had two close calls early in the second half. Jeremy Hokenson hit the crossbar moments into the second half, while another shot by Hokenson required a strong effort by senior goalkeeper Brian Breslin (Fairfax, Va. / W.T. Woodson) to come away with the save in a collection of navy jerseys.
- Duffy broke the scoreless game with a trickling shot past the keeper after a free kick by junior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va. / Benedictine) in the 66th minute. Duffy scored his fourth goal of the season and now leads the team for goals in 2018.
- Mary Washington got the equalizer in the 78th minute as Ryan Van Maanen scored on a ball that bounced around the box and finally made it into the back of the net.
- R-MC got a series of strong chances around the 83rd minute as freshman Judge Morgan (Okinawa, Japan / Kubasaki) got a shot blocked, while the putback by senior Peyton Chichester (Richmond, Va. / James River) was blocked as well. A corner kick by Astruc also set up a chance by sophomore Aaron Eiser (North Chesterfield, Va. / Monacan) that required a save by UMW goalkeeper Ken Kurtz.
- Neither team got the deciding goal in the remaining minutes, forcing R-MC's fourth overtime of the year.
- In the first overtime period, Mary Washington got a pair of shots and Randolph-Macon tallied one, but none of the chances got close and the two teams moved to the second overtime frame.
- In the second overtime period, Mary Washington also had a pair of shots, one being blocked and the other going too high.
- The tie marked R-MC's second of the season, with the first coming last Saturday against Roanoke in a 0-0 final.
- Beeker and Myers were trouble for their UMW counterparts all day, winning crucial tackles in the defensive third, which contributed to the lack of offensive opportunities for the Eagles in the first half.
- Chichester played well in the second half, placing himself in the middle of many of the team's long-ball opportunities at midfield and beyond.
- Breslin finished the game with a pair of saves. Of 19 shots by UMW, the R-MC defensive pressure forced most to go outside of goal.
Randolph-Macon will face Emory & Henry on Saturday for Homecoming. The game will begin at 3:30 PM at the R-MC Soccer Field. Please note that 3:30 PM is the correct time. Both the website and schedule cards had previously noted a 1:00 PM start time, which is incorrect.