VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – Randolph-Macon men's soccer fell one goal short at Virginia Wesleyan on Wednesday night and in doing so, booked its return trip to visit the Marlins in the Old Dominion Athletic Tournament on Friday.
Score: Virginia Wesleyan 3, Randolph-Macon 2
Location/Venue: Virginia Beach, Va./Foster Field
Records: Virginia Wesleyan (4-11-1, 4-5-1 ODAC), Randolph-Macon (7-7-2, 4-5-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Virginia Wesleyan struck early. Ricky Perault hit a pair of shots in the 12th and 17th minutes respectively to give VWU the early lead 2-0.
- The Marlins' Shaun Brooks put VWU up by three heading into halftime as he found the net in the 31st minute.
- R-MC's defense stood up VWU in many other offensive scenarios. The Marlins held the 10-4 shot advantage heading into the break.
- The Yellow Jackets got a couple of opportunities at goal after a corner kick by senior Brad Robertson (Mechanicsville, Va. / Atlee). In the 41st minute, he sent a ball into the box that was headed out wide by sophomore Paul McLaughlin (Chapel Hill, N.C. / Chapel Hill). Moments later, junior Isaac Myers (Littlestown, Pa. / Gettysburg Area) had a chance at goal that also went wide.
- After the intermission, R-MC's offense took advantage of some chances. Junior Paul Duffy (Salem, Va. / Salem) opened the scoring for the Yellow Jackets in the 55th minute with a goal. He stuck it above the keeper into the top right corner of the goal after senior Andrew Gyimesi (Midlothian, Va. / James River) tapped the ball to him in a pile in the middle of the box.
- Just moments later, junior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va. / Benedictine) hit the upper right corner of the net on an arching free kick from about 45 yards out in the 58th minute, marking his fifth goal of the season.
- Astruc had a close chance in the 65th minute as his shot required a save by VWU goalie Griffin Potter. That would be the last shot credited to R-MC for the remainder of the game as the score settled at 3-2 in favor of VWU.
Inside the Key Players and Numbers
- Both Astruc and Duffy, who scored tonight, lead R-MC in goals scored. They both have tallied five this season. Astruc, who has four assists, has a slight lead in points with 14 as opposed to 11 for Duffy, who has one.
- Senior Brian Breslin (Fairfax, Va. / W.T. Woodson) faced eight shots on goal while saving five of them.
- R-MC held the 7-4 advantage on corner kicks, gaining four of them in the second half.
Randolph-Macon will face Virginia Wesleyan in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament. R-MC will be seeded ninth and will travel back to Virginia Beach on Friday evening for a 6:00 PM contest. Full tournament information can be found HERE.
ODAC MEN'S SOCCER TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
First Round | Friday, October 26
Game 1: #9 Randolph-Macon at #8 Virginia Wesleyan | 6:00 p.m.
Quarterfinals | Sunday, October 28
Game 2: Winner Game 1 at #1 Washington and Lee | TBA
Game 3: #5 Eastern Mennonite at #4 Roanoke | TBA
Game 4: #6 Ferrum at #3 Bridgewater | TBA
Game 5: #7 Randolph at #2 Lynchburg | TBA
Semifinals | Saturday, November 3 | at Highest Seed following Quarterfinals
Game 6: Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 3 | TBA
Game 7: Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5 | TBA
Championship | Sunday, November 4 | at Semifinals Host
Game 8: Winner Game 6 vs. Winner Game 7 | TBA
*Game times are subject to change