VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – #9 Randolph-Macon fell to #8 Virginia Wesleyan in the first round of the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament. The loss ends R-MC's season.
Score: #8 Virginia Wesleyan 3, #9 Randolph-Macon 2
Location/Venue: Virginia Beach, Va./Birdsong Field
Records: Virginia Wesleyan (5-11-1), Randolph-Macon (7-8-2)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon scored on its first chance at goal. Junior Anthony Astruc (Glen Allen, Va. / Benedictine) hit a shot in the eighth minute to get ahead early in the first period.
- R-MC continued to have chances after that. R-MC was awarded a corner kick in the 17th minute which was followed up by a shot by senior Andrew Gyimesi (Midlothian, Va. / James River). R-MC got another corner kick out of the situation, but could not convert.
- Moments later, Virginia Wesleyan evened the score as Ricky Perrault hit the net in the 19th minute.
- Freshman Tyler Schardein (Glen Allen, Va. / Deep Run) and Astruc got a pair of chance in a six minute period through the middle of the half, but the VWU goalkeeper was able to save it both times.
- The Marlins put senior goalkeeper Brian Breslin (Fairfax, Va. / W.T. Woodson) to work in the late stages of the first half. Breslin made a pair of saves in the 37th and the 42nd minutes, keeping the score even at 1-1.
- R-MC came out in the second half firing. A corner kick three minutes into the period resulted in an opportunity by junior Isaac Myers (Littlestown, Pa. / Gettysburg Area), but the shot was blocked. Later In the 56th minute, junior Christian Torres (Stafford, Va. / C.D. Hylton) had a shot saved by the VWU keeper.
- Virginia Wesleyan got an opportunity at goal as R-MC was called for a foul in the box resulted in a penalty kick. The kick went wide and kept the score even at 1-1.
- Just minutes after the penalty kick opportunity, Randolph-Macon was charged with an own goal to give VWU the 2-1 advantage.
- In the face of adversity, R-MC answered immediately. Forty-four seconds after the Marlins' took the lead, the Yellow Jackets evened the score to 2-2 on the foot of sophomore AJ Casarez (Virginia Beach, Va. / Landstown). He took a pass from freshman Connor Lorenz (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air), who was credited with the assist, and sent it into goal.
- VWU's Perrault scored the game winner in the 74th minute and took the score to a 3-2 Marlins favor.
- R-MC had a series of opportunities nearing the end of the game. Junior Josh Beeker (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) sent a shot in with less than a minute remaining that had to be saved by the VWU keeper, but it was not enough to get R-MC back on the board and VWU closed out the win 3-2.
Inside The Numbers
- Randolph-Macon held the 12-11 advantage in shots, though both teams got seven each on goal.
- Breslin totaled two saves on the day. Sophomore Luke Messick (Hampton, Va. / Kecoughtan) got about 17 minutes of work towards the end of the match and also made a pair of saves.
- R-MC also held the 6-3 advantage on corner kicks.