ASHLAND, Va – Randolph-Macon dropped its season-opener 2-0 to Marymount on Friday evening on the R-MC Soccer Field. Despite controlling large portions of the game, the Yellow Jackets fell victim to a pair of set piece goals from the Saints despite the game being tied at halftime.
Score: Marymount 2, Randolph-Macon 0
Location/Venue: Ashland, Va. / R-MC Soccer Field
Records: Randolph-Macon 0-1, Marymount 1-0
How It Happened:
- The Yellow Jackets controlled large portions of the game and were particularly in control in the first half, registering five shots on goal to Marymount's zero. Junior AJ Casarez (Virginia Beach, Va. / Landstown) put in an excellent shift in midfield, winning the ball back consistently and keeping R-MC ticking over with his passing.
- Junior Ruben Niamien (Fredericksburg, Va. / Chancellor) displayed great hold up play as well as an ability to get in behind down the wings and lead the Yellow Jackets with three shots, two of those forcing saves from the keeper.
- Marymount scored its first goal early into the second half by turning in a free kick from the right side of the field.
- Freshman defender Max Radsovalijevic (Mechanicsburg, Va. / Cumberland Valley) made his presence known in his first collegiate start with a solid defensive display and a good aerial presence while sophomore Colton Howell (Glen Allen, Va. / Glen Allen) provided a spark off the bench for R-MC.
- With 15 minutes left in the game Marymount grabbed its second goal, again from a set piece.
Inside the Numbers:
- R-MC outshot the Saints 16-5 and also earned 12 corner kicks to Marymount's 2. The Yellow Jackets forced the Saints keeper into seven saves throughout the periods of play they controlled.
- The Yellow Jackets will face Averett at home on Sunday, September 1st. This game is a 1:00 PM kickoff